Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a walk last night and ran across my neighbor pushing his '65 Mustang back home. Ran over and helped him push it the 4 or so blocks back home. He said he was getting on it, going through the gears and the engine blew out a bunch of white smoke and it just stopped running. He tried to restart it, but it wouldn't crank at all. There was coolant everywhere. At first we thought it was a blown head gasket and maybe it hydrolocked the motor. He ended up pulling the intake off today and found the block was almost completely split in half. I've always heard it was possible, but never have seen it in person. The engine was a pretty stout 347 in a roller block. Was built 20ish years ago with an Eagle rotating assembly, solid flat tappet cam, Windsor Sr heads, Vic Jr intake and he just installed a Holley Sniper EFI kit. It was dyno'd at 498hp at the crank when it was built. Had about 30k miles on it when it let go.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Interesting.
I’d like to see what bottom end parts let go to cause that.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Pushing 400 hp and 6400 rpm myself, that picture will help me sleep tonight!:eek:

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
9,205 Posts
Went for a walk last night and ran across my neighbor pushing his '65 Mustang back home. Ran over and helped him push it the 4 or so blocks back home. He said he was getting on it, going through the gears and the engine blew out a bunch of white smoke and it just stopped running. He tried to restart it, but it wouldn't crank at all. There was coolant everywhere. At first we thought it was a blown head gasket and maybe it hydrolocked the motor. He ended up pulling the intake off today and found the block was almost completely split in half. I've always heard it was possible, but never have seen it in person. The engine was a pretty stout 347 in a roller block. Was built 20ish years ago with an Eagle rotating assembly, solid flat tappet cam, Windsor Sr heads, Vic Jr intake and he just installed a Holley Sniper EFI kit. It was dyno'd at 498hp at the crank when it was built. Had about 30k miles on it when it let go.

I've got a NOS B302 block with his name on it.....

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
From the looks of the intake gaskets coolant in 1 ad 8.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
My old neighbor back in Ohio split one in half.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Surprised it didnt split earlier, 498HP is more than it usually takes. Time to step up to a 351w based build I guess.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Surprised it didnt split earlier, 498HP is more than it usually takes. Time to step up to a 351w based build I guess.
I found him a big bore 8.2 Dart block about an hour north of us. If he gets that, he's going to build a 363. If not, he was looking at a 351.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Never saw that b4.
About 30 yrs a ago a friend shattered a cam shaft on a new engine with 200 miles on it.

He was so good he had it torn down and back on the road the following weekend.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
This one is really busted!

Reactions: xj220

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Interesting.
I’d like to see what bottom end parts let go to cause that.
It's no caused by any component "letting go" , apparently the main caps chatter with high RPM/large stroke and block cracks start from the main bearing bolt holes:

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
440 Posts
It's no caused by any component "letting go" , apparently the main caps chatter with high RPM/large stroke and block cracks start from the main bearing bolt holes:
Yep, saving for a Dart block myself.

Chris

·
Registered
792 Posts
Roller block = late 80s/1990s block correct? Is that what he has/had? Asking because I thought 1960’s block were a little stronger correct? Asking for a friend...😬

1 - 20 of 25 Posts