Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont get it.
dont they have any common sense. there must be 3 million dollars worth of cars at any given time and lately there's always some schmuck who has the nerve to fly drones over the parking lot. The more they get yelled at the more they do it. Morons!

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
There was a guy at a local show that was running around with a golf cart and had a 30' flag sticking up off the back. He bailed off just in time when he ran under a power cable and literally fried the cart!! Unfortunately he killed power to the grounds for almost 3 hours... DA!!

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
I was at the recent Carlisle Ford Nationals, est 3,200 vehicles entered. While a photo shoot of my car was ongoing, some yahoo was flying a drone. Not happy. But our club prez was next to me who happens to be licensed to fly them, told me drone safety features.
1. when it has low battery, it returns to point of launch location.
2. if it looses controller signal, returns to launch site.
one other feature I think but don't remember.

Made me feel just a tad better but if operator gets stupid then what????

·
Registered
817 Posts
What level drones have that capability? I have a feeling not all the ones out there do because in the end, they're really just remote controlled helicopters and only fly at the level of the operator.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,357 Posts
The ones I've seen just land when out of range. The fancier ones have locators so you can find where it landed. Not a stretch for one to return to launch/home base I guess. We've had little robot floor sweepers that find their own way back to their chargers for years now. I'm starting to understand what you get when you pay a thousand dollars for a drone.

·
Administrator
13,016 Posts
I was at the recent Carlisle Ford Nationals, est 3,200 vehicles entered. While a photo shoot of my car was ongoing, some yahoo was flying a drone. Not happy. But our club prez was next to me who happens to be licensed to fly them, told me drone safety features.
1. when it has low battery, it returns to point of launch location.
2. if it looses controller signal, returns to launch site.
one other feature I think but don't remember.
Made me feel just a tad better but if operator gets stupid then what????
Hopefully they'll vote him out of office at the next election! I kicked out a guy with one at a show I was helping on.
Stan

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Hopefully they'll vote him out of office at the next election! I kicked out a guy with one at a show I was helping on.
Stan

No, it wasn't our club prez flying it.... he was just explaining it because he had one at home and knew about them.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,580 Posts
While I understand the concern, as someone who uses drones for research, I can attest to the safety features built into these suckers. Loss of signal causes the drone to stop and hover, waiting for signal to be re-established; if not re-established, it moves to where it last had signal. If it doesn't get signal there, it goes back to home base. Loss of battery causes it to start beeping very loudly and when it gets down low enough (20% battery), it runs back to home base. They give you warnings when you're flying too high, or too far, or in too-strong winds (45+ mph). I've only ever seen one go down, and that's because a bird got it :lol:

The degree of experience of the operator does matter. I'm not a fan of just anyone flying them around just to play around. Potential for stupidity is high and if enough people do it, then you start to get interference in airspace and that's when people will really start crashing stuff. But I do really like the aerial photos that the drones can get, and I don't see a problem with an official 'drone operator' taking a picture or two at a show. It's really cool to see an accurate view of the true extent of a large show!

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the safety features are all well and good but manure happens. and i dont want my car under it if and when murphy decides to
enforce the laws of gravity.

·
Registered
541 Posts
A professional photographer with a quad copter is required to be insured. I would ask anyone flying around a show to produce said insurance and make sure that in the event their platform crashes into a car they have the correct and enough insurance to cover the damage. If they do not they shouldn't be allowed to fly around a show until they do.
I have been flying remote control planes, helicopters, quad copters for years. I usually find an area where there is little to no human traffic around, like a AMA certified flying field. My planes are up to 40% of full size and powered by a 170cc engine. It isn't pretty when one crashes and the potential for death is high.
ALL remote control pilots flying quad copter, planes or helicopters need to have a spotter with them while they are flying. The spotter needs to be watching the area around the aircraft and to let the pilot know if he/she is getting to close to objects. Plus, ALL quad copter, plane and heli pilots are required to register with the FAA if their platform weighs more then .55 lbs

LJ

·
Registered
247 Posts
While I can see the concern most of you have for property and/or spectator damage, I have seen more damage done by stupid belt buckles and trashy blondes. Some of you need to stop stressing about what MAY happen and enjoy life. You can't put an invisible force field around your car. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Should we ban kids and other people to? They could possibly hurt cars or people....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This is probably overkill, but we should think about enforcing no-fly zones over car shows for all aircraft in the event of a gravity test.

(That's sarcasm in case it's too dry for anyone).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
I like drones. My brother has one. But they're not fail safe, even the high end ones. I was recently at an outdoor concert where someone was flying one around. I felt uncomfortable whenever it passed overhead even though it was 100'+ above the ground.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Not sure why people seem to be so upset about the drones.

Seems like your car is less likely to be hurt by one than the thousands of people at the car show.

That said, yeah, they're pretty annoying, and yet entertaining at the same time.

I feel the same way about jet skis. The riders are always going too fast, getting too close to people fishing, out of control, etc. Not much I can do about it though.

If a drone hits your car, it'll probably do more $ damage to the drone. But it seems unlikely for the reasons people have mentioned.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I am a whole lot less concerned about a drone then some kid on a bike . I recently told a father that bikes weren't allow at the car show , he the A - **** gave me the finger and keep going . No police or security at our event , so kind of hard to deal with these types.

People are disrespectful and they don't care where they are . It's worse now days than ever parents are brain dead !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts