Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 Vert that has a lot of rust on the undercarriage. I have determined that it is too much "resto" for me. The cowl is rusted out and there are rust holes in the frame rails. The floor pans had been replaced by the PO.
I believe that the car is restorable, I'm just not the one to do it.
I recently painted the car, while I was painting my coupe. I have all the chrome, so the car looks good - really good.
I am not comfortable driving it due to the condition of the framerails. I was thinking of welding 1/4 beams to the frame rails so the car will not fold-up in case of an accident, so that I can drive it around town. But I plan on selling it this fall.

I know this is the type of 1/2 a$$ed resto that everyone hates their PO for. Am I a horrible person if I do this? :(

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Horrible? No.... But you'd be doing your future owner a favor by just selling it now, as is. Also, you're likely to get a few more dollars while it's still driving weather.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
You sound like a future "Damn PO" to me. I agree, sell with faults and disclose all. Just don't tell them what it's gonna cost to fix. Let them learn that on their own.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I agree....sell it now before the new owner is on this site with a new RANT about his or her P/O.....just don't misrepresnt the car and you can sell it with a clear mind.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I think welding 1/4 beams to the frame would make you one of those POs. If your not the one to retore it I would not do anything else to make it more difficult for the next owner. If you are going to sell, I would at least inform the potential buyer of the rust issues. If I were goinmg to buy such a car I would want to know about the problems instead of going through life feeling like I was "hosed."
The 1/4 beams, for most, would be the red flag of serious problems.
Just my thoughts

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I agree in part and disagree in part with the previous posts.

I agree that if it is feasiable you should just sell it now, you'll have a bigger market, and likely get a better price. You have less chance of messing up that new paint job and the car will look its "best". (The scenario where this wouldn't happen is if the economy really does start to recover in a big way this fall/winter, then you might do better selling it next spring. But I doubt this is going to happen, I'm predicting we just keep shuffling along at an anemic rate.)

I DISAGREE that welding in some reinforcements will make you a @)$#^@& PO. If you make the car drivable, I think that is better. Geesh, I mean California Mustang sells a big buck kit that does exactly what you are proposing!

The future owner (FO) will need to replace the framerails anyway if they want to restore the car. I can't believe cutting out framerails with a piece of flat stock welded to their side is any more difficult (by any significant amount) than cutting out "bare" frame rails.

If you go this route, take a lot of digital pics of both the process, and any other undercarriage parts you can get a clean shot of. This will accomplish two things: First it will show the FO what he/she is going up against, and two it will show him/her that final "correct" repair process really won't be all that different in the future.

Best of luck whichever way you go.

John Harvey

·
Registered
678 Posts
Post some pictures...Sell it to me for a real good price. I will never say anything bad about you as the PO.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was going to put it on Ehay as rust free* Shelby Clone after I wallpaper two white stripes down the hood, and have a "super low" reserve of $12,000
::
* when i say rust free, what I mean is you cannot see any rust when you stand 20 feet back and look at the rear quarter panel on a 56 degree angle.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would sell as is and not weld in anything that is not correct. If the nxt owner is going to want to do it right, and they should, the extra work to remove a bad repair may very well drive them away. The fact that they would be heavy braces may also deter a sell by making them feel that if they removed them the car would break in half so it must be worst than it is.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
You sound like a future "Damn PO" to me. I agree, sell with faults and disclose all. Just don't tell them what it's gonna cost to fix. Let them learn that on their own.
ah, but then in 3 months we'll get the inevitable post, "I just bought a 66 vert with rust in central Texas, how much will it cost to repair?" ::

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I was going to put it on Ehay as rust free* Shelby Clone after I wallpaper two white stripes down the hood, and have a "super low" reserve of $12,000
::
* when i say rust free, what I mean is you cannot see any rust when you stand 20 feet back and look at the rear quarter panel on a 56 degree angle.
I thought "Rust Free" meant that all the rust if free!!!

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
if you are doing it to increase sale price of car i think you are. just MHO.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My question is are you really going to gain anything by doing this? I know that when I bought my mustang, I bought it knowing that it would probably take a lot of work and more money than it is worth to make it a nice dependable car. I would suspect anyone else thinking about buying an unrestored car would be thinking the same. So, why put some homemade bracing on it when you can get it new? If it is cost effective do it the correct way. :)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
if you dont want to do the resto, sell now but be honest. you dont want them coming back and say you ripped them off. remember one negitive thing said can cost you your repution.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts