Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to have my new conv. picked up in cali & delivered to me in NY.
it seems like all the companies I call are brokers & put the delivery out for bid or on a list of cars going places. so you have no idea who is acutally picking up your car or if they are the ones who will be wit hit the whole way. many of these companies do hand offs, say one guy is going from cal to washington, another guy is going weashington to philly, then yet another is going to NY, the car soulc be handed off several times before I get it, them what if there is a claim? who is responsible, a,b, or c carrier?

am I making more of this than I should be ? is this standard practice?
it is all very aggrevating

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
That's the cheapest way to ship. Kind of like a letter ebing handled by a bunch of people to get it to your door. You could use the specialty carriers that will bring it door to door, but they usually cost about twice as much or more.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Try Calling Federal express custom critical or get a quote from the Fedex web site.They shipped mine and I was very happy.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Forget about using a broker. I used Dennis Nelson. He is based in CA and does just a wonderful job. He shipped my Merc from NJ to AZ without a problem. His # is 951-347-9349. Tell him Mark from AZ sent you! You won't be sorry!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I also shipped my 57 Tbird from northern Mass to Colorado 6 years ago using DAS. It got to Colorado fine but then had a little bit of a tragic fall off the truck when it got to CO. Overall, I was pleased with the service. It cost $1000 from Northern Massachusetts to Denver, CO (door to door).

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Hagerty Insurance suggests using FedEx. They have a new door to door service for car deliveries.

John Harvey

·
Registered
665 Posts
DAS has a good price for a shipper who keeps it on one truck, but they do transport the car first to a local terminal, where it waits for a truck full to your area, then gets unloaded at a terminal near you and loaded on yet another truck for local delivery. So - three loads/unloads total. I don't know if this is a problem, but that is what they told me they do. I used Horseless Carriage, one truck door to door, expensive.

·
Registered
254 Posts
No, you are not being a jerk. If it was my car I would want it to stay in one enclosed truck. My friends at ERA Replica Cobras only use Intercity Lines and they are outstanding, door-to-door delivery, the price is reasonable, and the trucks are amazing.

Look at their site. They are headquartered in Mass.

Intercity Lines

:peeping:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
it cost me 600.00 to ship from CA. to Long Island. Good Luck
When was this? 1966? :jawdrop:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Something to keep in mind. Those trucks hold lots of cars. They are taking cars on and off all the time to get to the car they need.
Stay away from brokers!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I've used InterCity Lines twice and at least one friend has used them based on my recommendation. She was also very satisfied.

The service is excellent and they take particular care with the cars. Each car is inspected before going on the truck. Any blemish that car has will be documented and the car will be inspected again after it is unloaded at your location. While on the trailer, the car is covered. There is no gap between the upper and lower decks for fluids to leak onto the car below.

The drivers do what they say they'll do, which can't be said for every company.

InterCity is competitive with other quality transport companies, but will be more expensive than broker arrangements. However, you do get what you pay for in this case.

InterCity will be picking up my Cougar this week for transport to the new owner in WA. So that's the other person to use them based on my recommendation. I have no doubt he'll be happy with the result.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Go into the phone book and research auto transporters, there are quite a few that are NOT brokers and do a great job. Horseless Carriage is one, and a good one! But as in any transaction, you get what you pay for!!!!!! If you look for cheap, that's what you get, CHEAP!!!
Had mine delivered from Connecticut to South Florida,the car arrived in better shape than it left in. They picked it up on THEIR carrier, driven by THEIR employee (who likes the job) and delivered it to me in 3 days looking better than when it left! Unfortunately, they only go up and down the East Coast, but the business plan is what's important. The owner has a fleet of his own carriers, his own terminal up north and down south, he runs the business on a schedule, like a railroad; 3 or 4 trucks heading up north and 3 or 4 trucks heading down south.Your car goes on one truck, with one driver; the pickup is scheduled for a day and time and delivery is the same. Since the owner controls everything, he can schedule in advance and deliver on time.
But it costs a little more! And well worth it. 10 years from now the extra you spent on transportation for the car will have been forgotten. If you go for cheap and they screw up the car you'll remember it for the rest of your life!!!
If you need some more info, e-mail or pm me.
Jay67fast

·
Registered
156 Posts
I used Roads Scholar [per the buyer's request] to ship a car I sold to Illinois fm Tx, and there were two Ferrari's and a Porsche onboard when he came by my house. Have no idea of the cost, but it was in good hands. The driver was extremely careful and personable.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
You most Certainly are not being a Jerk!!!!!

That being said expect to pay more for a non broker than a broker but IMHO well worth it. I used Horseless Carraiges on my last purchase and was very pleased.

There are a number of them out there that are above the rest I have heard good things about Inter-city, Legacy, FedX. I would never let a shipper load a car for me with a through inspection with pictures ect. You pay a bit more but if the car really matters too you consider the options.

JMHO
Mark

·
Registered
893 Posts
Use someone who carries door to door like FedEx....the bigger ones usually can pick up and deliver quicker...if you are way off the beaten path the maybe use someone who runs routes north/south or east/west near you....always ask for copy of insurance if not a major carrier.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have used about 10 brokers over the last year and a half and never had a problem. I got one car from Vegas to Houston for $550 and it took 5 days from first call until it arrived.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
DAS has a good price for a shipper who keeps it on one truck, but they do transport the car first to a local terminal, where it waits for a truck full to your area, then gets unloaded at a terminal near you and loaded on yet another truck for local delivery. So - three loads/unloads total. I don't know if this is a problem, but that is what they told me they do. I used Horseless Carriage, one truck door to door, expensive.
He's right about DAS. My DAS experience in a nutshell:

- 2 weeks sitting outdoors in April in Kentucky with rain almost everyday waiting to be picked up by the first truck. Even had a tornado pass through the area according to the seller.

- Sat in Dallas for another 3 weeks waiting on 2nd truck to pick it up. At least is was under a covered area in this location.

- After 4 week wait (estimated 10 days shipping) the car finally showed up.

- Car was covered in sand when I pulled up to pick it up(got caught in a sand storm in New Mexico according to the driver). Mind you this was an enclosed trailer. Luckily it appears it did no damage.

- Car had no clutch. :chainsaw: It was toast from someone who obviously did not know how to drive a clutch. It was non-driveable so I had to have it towed to a shop to be fixed. $500 out of pocket repair before I iver got to drive the car.

- The icing on the cake? Both doors had damage from pry marks and the trunk was tweaked on one side from someone trying to pry it open. :pissed: Probably happened waiting for 2 weeks in the rain for initial pickup. $1300 in damage that my insurance (Hagerty) paid luckily.

Never again will I buy a car and have it shipped. I will borrow or rent a trailer and go get it. That is if I every buy a car long distance again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts