Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm supposed to be driving up to State College PA to help my Sister in Law (SWMBO's sister) and her new husband move from one apartment in State College, PA to another.

I just get a phone call, and he (my new brother in law) isn't even going to be there....he has to work.....the moron didn't take the day off on Saturday, is he really that stupid or does he expect me to single handedly move all his crap for him /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I'm half tempted to cancel, especially since he came to my Party on sat. and didn't hello or goodbye.

·
Registered
771 Posts
i sure wouldnt go he prob expects you to do all his work and all id cancel but what will swmbo do if u do cancel? oh well its your decsion good luck

·
Administrator
19,546 Posts
Sounds like it's time to suddenly develop car trouble or maybe the weekend flu. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
I think I sense an oncoming case of malfunctioning distributor, or carburetor trouble, or a vibration in the transmission, due to strike sometime about, oh, say Saturday morning? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would let your brother in law know that somethings will
require his help to move. Ask him to let you know what
day he will be available.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Just tell them your still hung over from last weeks party.

If they pull it off what a deal, he goes to work probally makes time and half while you do his work for nothing, something wrong with that senario if you ask me, and hell you did so stay home sleep in, work on the car, walk the dog, take your wife to diner and let them move themselfs.

Just my .04

Mark

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I was set up that way when I moved my stepdaughter from Cedar Creek lake to Dallas. Her roommate disappeard and never helped in the move. Needless to say I was PO'd. If I were you I would inform him that he wont be moving with your help if he doesnt have some labor there to help...

·
Registered
487 Posts
I wouldn't bother with an excuse. I'd call and tell it like it is.

If you want my help doing your moving work, then I'll be glad to help.

But if you aren't going to be there, then that's not help, that's me doing your moving work for you.

Let them both know how you feel about it.

If your new brother-in-law can't be bothered to help move his own stuff, then why should someone else do it for him?

I've been through this kind of BS with family myself. My inlaws know better than to ask my help anymore. They had the nerve to conveniently be out of town (actually were not, as it later came out), when it came time to reciprocate helping my wife and I move several years ago. We moved everything ourselves with no help from any family members, and so it's now, "what goes around, comes around". MAN. This sort of one sided sh**, makes me so da** mad.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My Dad always told me you do things for family that you wouldn't do for no one else, but at times there is a thin line of being taken advantage of. I guess you gotta figure out which side of the line your on.

Good luck!

G

·
I wouldn't do it and I wouldn't come up with a BS excuse. Tell him you don't mind helping but it's alot of work and it would be better if he was there.

Offer to reschedule but don't feel bad and don't get suckered into doing alot of work because someone else didn't plan things out correctly.

Any reasonalbe person should be able to see your point of view.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm torn on this--Not that you should do it,that's a definite no--I don't know whether I would come up with car trouble so SWMBO wouldn't be mad or Just telling him like it is and saying "If I have to move this by myself then I'm being hired as a moving company and expect suitable payment"--By any measurement he's an idiot ---------Or maybe he's a genius--time and a half and he gets his furniture moved for free--I say you move it for him and somehow damage every piece you move in some way--Just tell him you were exhausted from doing it yourself and some pieces were too had to handle by yourself

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
My advice (as a cranky OF who despises glommers-on and freeloaders) is to clearly and succinctly tell SWMBO and BIL (nicely, of course) that you're not available gratis. And if they ask why, politely respond that if the BIL requires a moving and storage company, you can provide references and present him with a contract for carriage. If he would like you to assist him with the move, you'll be happy to... (and I don't know how "happy" I'd be, at this point)

People like that are a cross between passive/aggressive and control freaks...I know he's family but I recommend a wide berth...I speak from experience.

His appearance (or invisibility) at your party is telling...

Take a stand on principle here, even if it means heat from SWMBO....IME, doormats get no respect....

Good luck!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not sure about idiot but certainly inconsiderate... Look at this way.. Do it for your sister. Think about what she has to put up with... She'll never forget what you did...

My .02

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
What does your sister-in-law look like?
The answer is your answer.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
you're very perceptive..he expects you to do it all alone

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I would like to move from San Diego to San Francisco next weekend. By the way SWMBO and I will be vacationing in the mountains, but the key is under the door mat. Please don' t forget the refrigerator etc. There are a lot of empty boxes so you won't have a problem packing all the little things. Thanks for help.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I'd tell your sister like it is. You'll do it for her but he's gotta be there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts