Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem. (I know I shouln't have opened that door :p)

I have a set of 17x9 Cobra R wheels that I would love to put on my '68. I bought a wheel adapters but they scrape the A-arms and the fender lips.

My question is this: Is it possible to have wheels narrowed? If so, how much?

Or should I just sell the d&%n things and get new wheels?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Who did you get the adapters from, maybe they are the wrong one? I know NPD sells some adapters that say you can put a 17x9 newer rim like the mach 1 or bullit style and that you can run a 245 tire. if it doesnt fit i'd call who you bought em from and ask why maybe they'll get you the right ones.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Trade them with a late model guy who has the 17x8 version of that wheel (98 cobra)... Try posting a trade ad at stangnet or corral.net.

I don't think there's an easy way to get 9's on there...... The adaptor kits I've seen do say 17x8, with no mention of 17x9.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Dont think it'll work. The mach 1 and bullit wheels are 17x8, the cobras are 17x9. I have 17x8's with 245/45's from a 2001 GT on mine with 1" spacers and they fit absolutely perfect.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
17x9's won't work in the front, they are just too darn wide. They will work on the back, but if you want the ability to rotate tires, it won't work out. Find some 17x8's for the front, maybe someone might want to do a trade with you. Good luck.

·
Registered
21,341 Posts
Can he use a wedge kit and lower his uppers by 1 3/4" IIRC, i seem to recall seeing some of these rims specifically mentioning to use the wedge and lower the uppers to fit.

Heck, he could kill 2 birds with one Chevy :D

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
gimme two the 9's, go buy 2 8's, and ill go buy 2 8's, and both of us will be happy ::

1 - 8 of 8 Posts