Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking again at Mustangs on that bad-bad site, shame on me. I noticed something odd about auction #2424336037. It is a plane jane, nice but well worn C code 65 coupe. It is currently at $12,100, 31 bids, and hasn't reached its reserve. Isn't that more in line with convertible prices for the same condition? Have coupe values shot up over night? I really, really need to stop looking at cars on that site. ::

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
You got me...

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
... which brings me to my next point. Don't smoke crack! (Lawrence Taylor in the movie "Water Boy")

I'm not sure who's dumber, the person that bid $12k for the car, or the seller that set a reserve higher than that. That's cool, though. If that car is worth that, then mine might actually be worth close to half of what I have in it ::

·
Registered
832 Posts
Whatever somebody pays for that car is what it is worth. Suppose it is a completly original car with all the original fenders and zero rust ever. How many of us have dumped 10 grand in our cars and will never be there?
jimbo

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I have become spoiled sense I moved to California. My GT has all of it's original sheet metal, Never had any rust, and even still has much of its original paint. It has only been touched up. I don't have $12,000 in it though I bought it a little over a year ago, before the fastback prices went crazy. :D

I also have a daily driver c-code 66 coupe. If someone offered me $12,000 for it I wouldn't give them time to blink. I certainly wouldn't set the reserve higher than that. ::

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Coupe prices apparently are going up.I have a 69 Grande for sale and was told by a local club member that he read where the Grande prices are expected to hit $30-35,000 in the next few years..Maybe I should hang onto mine as it is only appraised at what I have it listed at.
Don

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Future Concourse Trailer Queen ::

Trailer to be of enclosed veriety, made of 3/4" Plexiglas and hermetically sealed ::

·
Registered
142 Posts
When my dad got our FB, we ended up paying 10k (probably way too much), but they also said it was all original except it had been repainted. Well, they lied and the engine and tranny came out of a 71 Torino. But the interior was pretty nice.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Welcome to 2003. The E place has become, like/hate/love it, a real-time market for our favorite car. Guess if you own a bunch of 'em you want the prices going up and if you are looking to buy you want a market crash. Not all of us have had the chance to spend years searching barns to find an MCA Thoroughbred car for $500. The reality is that if you want to enter the vintage Mustang world today you pick from todays cars.

If truly original as it appears (OK, the brake booster, radiator overflow jug and steering wheel cover were not there in '65) and rust free, the car is better than "well worn". The Capsian Blue and the white top show well -- has a convertible look.

There may be emerging increased value to unmodified, uncrashed, unrusted, working, original cars. Yeah, you can buy a $4,000 car and spend years 'fixing' and 'correcting' it, buy a nice unrestored for more, or pay a mint and have an instant MCA trailer queen. Isn't it swell that everyone has a choice?

Why not chill out and let people choose and the free market work!! [no- it's not my car! ::]

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Coupe prices apparently are going up.I have a 69 Grande for sale and was told by a local club member that he read where the Grande prices are expected to hit $30-35,000 in the next few years..Maybe I should hang onto mine as it is only appraised at what I have it listed at.
Unlikely. That would be starting to get into Shelby teritory. There are just too many coupes to garner that kind of extreme increase over a short period of time. The fastbacks recent increase I can understand as they are reasonably low in production numbers. There were close to if not a little over a million 1965-66 coupes made. They're just too plentiful. Don't get me wrong, I love coupes, including my daily driver 66, they just are not going to enjoy the mystique or quick value increases of Fastbacks or convertibles. I personally hope it stays that way so we have an affordable entry level early Mustang for young or less financially inclined people just getting into the hobby.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Grande prices are expected to hit $30-35,000 in the next few years
Next few hundred years, maybe. ;) I looked at a Grande 2 years ago for $2500. The Grande's I've seen are about the same price as regular '69 coupes. I can't see coupes (even a Grande) being worth even half of that within the next 10 years.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Don't overlook the possibility that one of the seller's buddies entered a shill bid just to generate interest in the car. A car always seems more desireable and valuable if someone else is interested in it. As Sports Car Market (the greatest car magazine currently in print) would say, "that last bid must have been from a chandelier in the back". Dealers use this practice all the time at auctions in the hopes that when the results are published the perceived value of the car will increase.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Marketing makes a difference. I have noticed that auctions with a greate number of pictures often have a large number of bids. Also location has a lot to do with it. If you live in a major metro area there's more local buyers who have more money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts