Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does a motor sound like running rich? Running lean? My Haynes manual is vague and says then when it is running lean the engine will "hunt, and rich it will increase and decrease in RPMs. Uh, that sounds like the same phenonmenon to me.
Also, how soon after you make an adjustment can you "read" the plugs? I will go and pull them in a minute- i suspect i was too lean. I fatten the carb up a bit. When should I check them next for color? Thanks everybody!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I think you're mixing up 2 different concepts here. Fattening up the idle mixture will have no effect on the way the car actually runs except at idle.

Generally when you talk about a carb running rich or lean, you're talking about the way it runs at cruise and/or power, not idle. Changing the lean/rich characteristics involves changing metering rods, jets, step up springs, and the like. What parts you change is dependant on what type of carb you're running.

To answer the quesion, though, you have to get a couple hundred miles on them to get any kind of good reading on the plugs, IMHO. Reading the plugs is the best way to tell if you're running rich or lean, as they can and will exhibit many of the same symptoms. Rich will generally turn your tail pipes black, though, and too lean will often lead to pinging.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changing the lean/rich characteristics involves changing metering rods, jets, step up springs, and the like. What parts you change is dependant on what type of carb you're running.
I dont think I an adjsut any of that stuff in an autolite 2100. I am trying to get the car to idle and start better.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Actually, that old wives tale is true. It is one of the easiest ways to tell how the car is running at idle.

Easiest way is to take a flat plate and slowing cover the barrell of the carb. The idle should really change much before 1/3-1/2 covered.

Slade

1 - 5 of 5 Posts