Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse my ignorance, but i see ppl all the time talking about NOS parts. what does NOS stand for?

i state again please excuse my ignorance

thanx

64.5 Coupe
260 V-8

Even got the good ol' generator

And the first hood ornament ive ever seen on a mustang

G

·
0 Posts
"New Old Stock". You are braver than I. I wondered about that for years and never mustered the courage to ask. It isn't defined anywhere!

66 Pony Coupe, auto, 289

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
NOS= New Old Stock. Meaning old original parts that Have never been used, They are still "new"

Some may say it means "Never On Sale" because they are Big Bucks$$$$

[color:green]Adam</font color=green>

Click Here to see my Website
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1590185&a=12106882&p=45943937&Sequence=0&res=high.jpg

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ohhhhhhhh ok, thanx i feel edumicated now

64.5 Coupe
260 V-8

Even got the good ol' generator

And the first hood ornament ive ever seen on a mustang

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Just to add to what the others already said ... be careful of how others will interpret NOS. NOS would be original Ford parts from the correct time that were never sold, and are a direct replacement for th ORIGINAL part on the car. It differs from Ford Replacement parts (parts changed later by Ford used when replacing an item, usually for a better design or better cost control), and it differs from OEM parts (used original Ford parts).

You will often see someone selling what they call an NOS part to get more money for it. Often these "NOS" parts are Ford replacement parts or used parts that DO NOT command the higher premium of NOS.

BTW, there's no ingnorant questions on this forum ... only ignorant answers. Never hesitate to ask a question around here!

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro
http://www.classic-mustang.net/john66/mustang/pics/66fsides2.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
There are no stupid questions. When I bought my mustang 5 years ago I knew nothing about cars.

Remember that there is a difference between a "NOS" part and an "original / factory" part. NOS parts are from the factory and have never been on a car. Many people will not consider a part is NOS unless it comes in the original box. There is a fine but definite line here.

I once saw a mustang on autotrader that was described as a "frame off" restoration (which is technically impossible since mustangs are all unibody) using "all original reproductive parts". That one made me laugh.

G

·
0 Posts
The real question is how old is "old".

For example, there could be a Ford 1/4 panel from 30 years ago (red primer), boxed, etc. listed as NOS (rightfully so), and there could be the same Ford 1/4 Panel from 6 years ago (black), boxed, etc. listed as NOS.

Neither is a re-design "replacement" part, but one may have a higher value than the other. ("vintage" part, earlier on the die therefore crisper lines, etc., who knows?)

There seems to be a big window on our classification of "NOS" parts.
How "old" does it have to be?
I think the important message here is, (a) "new", (b) Ford part, (c) correct, original fitting and design, (d) mint condition.

KP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts