Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite often on the VMF I see posts that say something like this: "vintage seats are nowhere near as comfortable as more modern seats anyway".

I wonder if I'm in the serious minority here...I think that my standard 67 seats are nearly the most comfortable car seats that I've ever had (and I've had a lot of cars, including some upper end stuff). The cushioning is nice and soft, and it gives - something that nearly all of the newer cars I've had doesnt. The lack of give really sucks on a long trip, when you're in that seat for a long time. I took my convertible on a 3 hour tour (like Gilligan) one way last summer and was so comfortable I didn't even need to stop for a break.

I have a feeling that modern seats are actually made more cheaply than the older seats. Any comments?

Visit my repair page for Repair info, with pictures! http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I think you're the only one...

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I find the seats in my 68 quite comfortable. Maybe it is just the feeling I get driving thr car, but I would certainly not change them.

68 GT500
68 1/2 CJ Coupe

MCA# 18519

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I don't think the seats in my 65 are uncomfortable but I also think the seats in my 89 are much nicer and even more comfortable.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

·
Registered
672 Posts
I AGREE! The seats in my '97 had all the comforts of my office chair! The seats in the '67 feel like a old beat-up comfortable chair. (Like Martin's from Frasier) I know everyone has to have that old chair they can't part with somewhere in thier house, why can you have the same comfort in the car?? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif On top of that I can't remember the last time I was able to fold the back of the seat the WHOLE way down to let a passenger in the back. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

http://my67heven.tripod.com/emsm.gifI was looking for a restoration of fantasy. I do not want my car to be as it was in 1967. I want it to be as I imagined it in 1967. -John Baird
Got Rust? 1967 A-Code Coupe

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, my 71 seats are way more comfortable that any new car I've sat in.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I would have to say that nothing beats a new set of buns (seat that is...). With a reuphoster job and new seat buns, the seats feel a lot better.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I find my 66 seats quite comfy. I actually like them better than the ones in SWMBO's 94 GT, I can never seem to get them adjusted right. With the 66 there is no adjusting, they just feel fine!

TJ - Highland Village, TX (DFW area)

66 coupe 302 2v c4 -daily driver
94 GT vert -SWMBO's
93 Aerostar - hauling stuff
50 Mercury Pickup - waiting to be restored, stored back home

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I agree, the seats in my 69 Mach are very comfortable. I have seen posts on here also, saying how they are so uncomfortable, so when we got the Mach, I was expecting stiff, 'non-giving' seats, but they are very comfortable.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1617612&a=12349055&p=45163239&Sequence=0&res=high.jpg
[color:blue]1969 Mach 1-in restoration</font color=blue>
[color:green]I got my stang on April Fools day. I wonder if that means something....</font color=green>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to agree, the seats are great. I am usually a little hot, but other than that, very comfortable. I'll bet if rear-ended they'd provide much whiplash protection though!
T

1966 C-Code Convertible, 59 Edsel Villager
Charlotte, NC
New Cars Have No Soul.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree also, except in the summer time and you are wearing shorts and have to peel the back of your thighs off the vinal.

Rich Fehr
68' Lime Gold Coupe.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think that my seats on my mustang are very comfortable!

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
After driving back in forth to Pensacola I'd have to say I concur. My wife's 83 Mercedes converitlble has the most uncomfortable seats known to man. I recently replaced all the pads in her seats and it is still like sitting on a park bench.

John (still holding the power steering pump for you) Boggs

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think they are fine, its just that in the tx heat u have an outline of sweat when u get up from where the vinyl was in contact with ur body. thats why i got mine reupholstered with cloth in the middle and vinyl on the outsides where no skin touches :)

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree that my old mustang seats are pretty comfortable, probably because it has formed themselves to my own personal posterior. Speaking of posterior, some of the newer car seats just aren't as comfortable when I have wedge into them.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd have to agree with you too! Other than the black vinyl in the summer part... I find the seats in my 68 very comfy. I like the way they give, which makes for a more natural feel to the back of the seat. Helps me have a better driving position. With the newer cars, I can never get the seatback in exactly the right position!

Michelle (aka Mustang Shelly)
1968 GT 390 Fastback
http://mich_pc.boltpages.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/lefbacsmall.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
My 67 seats are about the most comfortable. I've made many long drives with no discomfort. In my 90 honda I have to put a towel in the crack of the seat to support my lower back. The seat bed seams to be longer and gives the front of your legs more support. I think the whole setup is more comfortable.

http://home.mindspring.com/~thedaughertys/_uimages/M1.jpg
Now 293 ci (.030" bore) with Holley 450 and 295,000 miles
MCA #49294

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't mind the 65 seats!! Oh well, I'm young though. Maybe that's why!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man I adore my Bench seat. even if it is half duct tape, I can't find an affordable reupholster kit for it. Sigh. But if I ever get some extra money. I might by an extra one for in front of the tv. At least until I start dating or get married;)

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts