Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put some new tires on my daughters 96 Mustang. The old tires had plenty of tread but the casings were weak and had a bad shimmy. Also they had no traction. You could break them loose at will with a V6 in first gear and a real bark in the next 2 gears. The old ones I found out after I replaced them were WallyMart Douglas 80,000 mile tires. They had at least 40,000 miles on them and looked like all the tread was still there. It was like driving on formica they were so hard. At the drag strip it was hard to launch because of the lack of traction.

I put a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE950 205/65 - 15 because they were highly rated for wet and dry traction. Now it has traction! That should knock about half a second off at the drag strip! It goes around corners like it is on rails!

Kind of nice my daughter learned to drive the car with poor traction. She has great reflexes now!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yup, No bigger change in performance than tires. Reminded of the day (1.5 years ago) when I pulled the original Goodyear Polyglas tires off the BOSS and installed BFG 245's. Hugh difference in driving. The original tires still had 50% tread left and they were put away for good keeping. Funny, I can remember when the Polyglas belted tires first came out. They were the hot lick for performance. Today, you feel like you're taking you life in your hands driving on them, as opposed to modern radials.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts