Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Amazon is also a huge supporter of the USPS. Ever notice that you see Postal Workers out on Sunday, that’s because they are being paid by Amazon to deliver packages. I am sure the USPS enjoys the extra money they make off Amazon.

LJ

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think the shipping speed is related to location. I haven't had any issues with timing, I have even received packages earlier than expected. But it does suck that their increasing the price.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not happy about price increase, but I did some quick math. Assuming an average shipping and handling cost of $3. $120 / 3 = 40 items a year. 40 /12 = 3 items per month. I just ordered 10 items today and canceled one because it was not prime and vendor wanted $3.90 shipping on a $6 item.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Yea it stinks but I'll probably pony up again in January when my year is up. Their prices aren't that great anymore and the shipping to my home keeps getting slower, but I hate shopping and they make it less painful. I order something almost every week.

I live in the South Bend shipping area but work in the Chicago shipping area 20 miles away. Shipping to my home is now 3 to 4 days and usually completed by USPS. Whereas shipping to my work is next day 90% of the time with UPS.
And there is the issue most of the time. My small items always ship USPS, and they’re by far the worst. It’s always 2 days late, the tracking is always incorrect, and half the time it never gets scanned anyways. Anytime I get my shipped notification and it says USPS, I just know it’ll be at least a week before I get it. I’ve actually just started to request not to use USPS. That’s how the trim switch for my boat, that I referenced earlier, was shipped. Since they never scan it in and out, it still showed that it had been dropped off at the shipping facility, and never showed it’s progress, and then it showed up 8 days later. It was prime. USPS sucks.

Oh, and I live in a suburb of Dallas. My XS battery shipped out of Dallas, Prime, and it took 5 days.

·
Registered
8,383 Posts
Amazon is also a huge supporter of the USPS. Ever notice that you see Postal Workers out on Sunday, that’s because they are being paid by Amazon to deliver packages. I am sure the USPS enjoys the extra money they make off Amazon.

LJ
That's a somewhat misleading comment.
Amazon is not the reason the USPS delivers on Sunday. Sunday delivery is in
the USPS "charter" as a stupidly expensive shipping option. And has been, long
before Amazon existed. Services have ebbed and flowed since they instituted
home delivery around the time of the civil war and one of the things to go by
the wayside for the USPS were the multiple DAILY residential deliveries during
the week.

Here are some of the vagaries, in case you think I'm full of $%#@......
https://psmag.com/economics/a-short-history-of-mail-delivery-52444

My great grandfather was a postmaster, by the way.

·
Super Moderator
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I thought the USPS comment was strange as I have never received a Amazon shipment on Sunday and I actually saw a USPS truck this morning delivering mail...and I’m expecting a Amazon order right now as well.

·
Registered
524 Posts
That's a somewhat misleading comment.
Amazon is not the reason the USPS delivers on Sunday. Sunday delivery is in
the USPS "charter" as a stupidly expensive shipping option. And has been, long
before Amazon existed. Services have ebbed and flowed since they instituted
home delivery around the time of the civil war and one of the things to go by
the wayside for the USPS were the multiple DAILY residential deliveries during
the week.

Here are some of the vagaries, in case you think I'm full of $%#@......
https://psmag.com/economics/a-short-history-of-mail-delivery-52444

My great grandfather was a postmaster, by the way.
I stand corrected. Thank you. I was under the impression that they helped support the USPS with Sunday delivery.

LJ

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Living in Austin and being a student, I get the cream of the Amazon crop... cheap Prime, and shipping in hours. Some days my packages show up before I get home at the end of the day, when I ordered them that morning. It is pretty nuts.

If I lived somewhere where the shipping took longer, I'd ditch it. Their Prime TV is terrible (except for the Grand Tour) and the music certainly isn't anywhere close to as good as Spotify.

It certainly doesn't feel good to see Amazon reporting record profits and then hiking their prices again a few weeks later though.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I use ebay the majority of the time for online stuff. Shipping on par (and "free"), same price or cheaper 80% of the time, and no tax collected. I really dont understand the infatuation with Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
When you see a company boasting its profits and then they jack up their rates it seemed somewhat appalling.
I think they may be trying to use Photobucket as their business model

·
Registered
368 Posts
This price hike really does stink, but I think I order just enough to still make it worthwhile. However, I hate how things get bundled in whether you care or not. I've maybe watched 2-3 shows/movies with Prime Video and occassionally use Prime Music, but would happily drop both of those services if it would reduce the cost. I could care less if they added hundreds or thousands of shows I don't want to watch...

·
Registered
671 Posts
No first world problems over here. If the package comes 1-2 later SO BE IT

·
Registered
671 Posts
I use ebay the majority of the time for online stuff. Shipping on par (and "free"), same price or cheaper 80% of the time, and no tax collected. I really dont understand the infatuation with Amazon.

you don't have to mess around with paypal

amazon is direct

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
you don't have to mess around with paypal

amazon is direct
Mess around with PayPal? What's that mean? In the hundreds of purchases I've made on ebay, I've never had to "mess around" with PayPal once.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Mess around with PayPal? What's that mean? In the hundreds of purchases I've made on ebay, I've never had to "mess around" with PayPal once.

hmmmm I think you are right, "mess around" was a bad word choice. I think "don't have to deal" with paypal is a better one.

What I meant was through Amazon it is a lot easier to set up and go and in seconds become a Amazon shopper. No need to fiddle around with an extension website. Not to mention it's a lot easier being a seller on Amazon - you don't have to worry about transactions freezing.

feel free ask around why people prefer amazon over ebay, most will it's because they don't have to deal with paypal

from my guess, I would have to say you are the few lucky ones that never dealt with the bad side of paypal?

·
Registered
53 Posts
hmmmm I think you are right, "mess around" was a bad word choice. I think "don't have to deal" with paypal is a better one.

What I meant was through Amazon it is a lot easier to set up and go and in seconds become a Amazon shopper. No need to fiddle around with an extension website. Not to mention it's a lot easier being a seller on Amazon - you don't have to worry about transactions freezing.

feel free ask around why people prefer amazon over ebay, most will it's because they don't have to deal with paypal

from my guess, I would have to say you are the few lucky ones that never dealt with the bad side of paypal?
I’d have to agree, while definitely not the only reason I don’t do eBay, it’s certainly the main reason. I want say that I will never use eBay, but I’ll definitely say I’ll never use PayPal, never.
With Amazon I just input my debit card info and I’m good until I get a new card. You can’t get easier than the one click buy now button.... maybe I’m just that lazy.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

I've never had any negative transactions using PayPal. It's simple and took as long to register as it did when I opened my Amazon account. I prefer to use PayPal because I also use it when ordering on Summit or CJPonyParts or many other websites, all that generally tend to have lower pricing, no tax, and equal or better shipping. It's almost always win, win, win. There are a some very few exceptions where I have ordered on Amazon, but it is super rare.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I’d have to agree, while definitely not the only reason I don’t do eBay, it’s certainly the main reason. I want say that I will never use eBay, but I’ll definitely say I’ll never use PayPal, never.
With Amazon I just input my debit card info and I’m good until I get a new card. You can’t get easier than the one click buy now button.... maybe I’m just that lazy.
Ebay/PayPal does have "one click buy". No need to log into multiple sites or anything. On top of that, you can use PayPal on other websites as well. Doesn't get any easier at this point.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts