Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wiring on my Mach 1 is terrible. I've been looking at the AAW upgrade kit. Appears it comes with everything needed to rewire the car, but requires a 1-wire alternator, and modern distributor. The advertising states the wires and connectors are the original style and colors. Can anyone confirm? If anyone has used this harness, could you reply with your experience? I'm an original (restoration) sort of person, but this harness/system seems interesting.

Midlife restored the underdash harness in my 1966, and all the other wiring is reproduction and works just fine in it's original configuration, except for the headlights. Should I go original on the 1969, or AAW classic? Opinions are welcome!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I used the AAW classic update kit in my 65. I won't say it was easy but yes, everything is there, the wires are plenty long, clearly labeled, the instructions are clear, and you can put the fuse box anywhere you want within reason. I would recommend using some very good crimping tools and getting some practice with the crimps before starting.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,490 Posts
The wiring on my 69 Coupe was also a mess so I used the AAW wiring harness kit on my 69 Coupe. Whatever you do don't throw away your old harness until you are done. The AAW harness for a 69 does not come with the wiring from the blower switch to the blower resister, & I had to make my own harness because I trashed my old harness years ago. The wires are all clearly marked with what they go to & if you have any questions about the harness you could send them an e mail & they will respond within a day, at least they did to me. I do not know if they follow the original Ford colors, but you could go to their web site & down load the wiring diagrams for the 69 harness kit & compare it to a Ford wiring diagram & see if it matches.

Attachments

·
Registered
882 Posts
The wiring on my Mach 1 is terrible. I've been looking at the AAW upgrade kit. Appears it comes with everything needed to rewire the car, but requires a 1-wire
The Ford 3G alternator is still basically a 1-wire. You can purchase them with a regulator that has been modified as a 1-wire or you just connect the green wire from the alternator to the brown wire supplied from the AAW harness.

I have not rewired with the AAW harness yet but have been reading up on the directions.

·
Registered
800 Posts
On that exact wiring kit now on my 69 convertible. I did my fastback which was a very simple car compared to the convertible. If you’re going through the hassle of re wiring a car, do the update kit. It offers a lot more for you down the road when you start to add upgrades like FI and electric fans etc.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I went with the AAW kit for my 67. As others mentioned, each wire is labeled for what it is.
Since I am upgrading to a AODE 4r70w some of the wiring with my dakota digital HDX and the MSD atomic unit has created some interesting challenges. Right now we are working on the tranny harness set up, but it has more issues with the HDX wiring than the AAW.
A restoration shop is doing all the work, and it seems that everything so far passes all tests.
Here are a few pictures for fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I wired my '67 with the AAW kit and ran it for a year with points and a ballast resistor. I did go with a 1 wire alternator though because my old one was on it's way out. I just switched to a pertronix because of my Fitech install but even that ran ok with the points and resistor but is not recommended by Fitech (will burn out very quickly according to them).

I had zero problems with my install. It took me awhile because I used the braided wrap and used heat shrink on all the ends and connections and tried different routes with wires under the hood. Everything fired right up and worked as it should when I was done (dumb luck mostly). If you don't have too much experience wiring I would suggest buying the correct crimping tools, removing everything you can (gauges, heater box, glove box, steering column, rear interior quarter panels, etc.) and start with the rear harness. It is easier to work with, there is more room to work in the trunk and it will build your confidence with things like pulling/routing wires, crimping ends, attaching grounds, etc. Also take LOTS of pictures.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I bought the same American Autowire kit for my 69. They neglect to tell you that none of their connectors with work with your brand new Ford light pigtails. Also, you must use their special crimpers (two seperate sizes) $150 to connect your wires. My wiring turned out to be a patch mess because I had to buy Ford connectors to plug into my lights. Still a work in progress for me, praying the car doesn't go up in smoke. The kit has good instructions, but their connectors are not waterproof.
This is my first attempt at wiring. I am a 65 yr old woman trying to do the job for my disabled husband. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Someone re-build original harnesses. You might want to look into that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts