Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to replace the foam in both of my front seats and bought the American Cushion foam with the polypropylene mesh backing material. With this polypropylene backing material, can I delete the burlap material or do I still need to use it ?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I used burlap with mine for the original look, as if anyone would ever see it...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Burlap is not needed.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
The burlap provides a lot of extra support. I would not go without it...and it looks like crap without it to boot...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The fabric that is molded into the foam nowadays is far stronger than burlap. It’s not necessary to use burlap, but you can if you want. I found it to be a pain trying to hog ring the burlap to frame then do it again with covers. Extra step that could be avoided. Especially when your hands are whooped from upholstering. Your call. I’ve done both, but skip it when using the foam with fabric molded in.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree and the burlap is just a mess to deal with. I actually like the poly backing on the AC cushions. I will wrap the perimeter of the frame with a thin boat carpet that I have that is similar to the original edging they used.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Burlap is really not necessary, unless you're into a restoration to OEM and all NOS everywhere.

What I used is synthetic weed cloth (garden center in HD) and plastic chicken fence. It gives a better seat, a bit more firm but more even.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts