Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another in the Discovery Channel Series of "American xxxxx". This tim with Boyd Coddington and his hot rods.

In this first episode, the car featured a SBF - which made me quite happy!

Oh, and UCLA colors!!

K

·
0 Posts
Yep just finished watching it. It sure would be nice to see how they ACTUALLY build a car. Instead all these shows have some sort of deadline so stress and attitudes pervail. With the success of the battling Tuttles I'm sure the producers told Coddington to get some attitude into his shop. Didn't seem genuine. And besides....they ordered a body from down under. What??? An American fiberglass outfit couldn't handle the job?

I'd like to see a real customer's car being built.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I just watched that. Pretty kewl how they were putting things together. Was that Wilwood hubs I seen? I liked watching them figure out that air was causing the overheating. Good to see that stuff happens to the professionals too.

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Fun to watch...custom rods like that aren't my cup of tea, but I can definitely appreciate the level of skill and attention to detail used to create one. I wonder if Boyd gets his hands dirty anymore? ::

·
Registered
50 Posts
Instead of reading for college, I watched some of the show. It seems all right but I like American Chopper better because the Teutels. It seems that these shows emphasize on the drama of making/producing under pressure. I too was very surprised that they ordered up product from Australia.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Funny how tastes vary. I don't care too much for American Chopper because of the Teutels. The arguing BS is all scripted and sometimes one can notice them reading from the prompter. After watching a Jesse James rerun after HotRod, was again reminded that Orange County bikes are like the ad for the Hummer. The one with the kid making his soapbox racer like a Hummer. Jesse builds the REAL thing, Orange County's don't compare.opinion. Jesse's bikes are truly custom and he fabricates his own frames, etc. Re Coddington, would rather see Lil' John Butera, Brizio, or Chaporus(sp) N. Ca. rod builders. They are more like the real thing. Or watch Dean chop a top on a 50 Merc. There's a lot of untapped energy amongst car builders out there. :: Thought that body from Australia was cool and the blue was beautiful. The yellow didn't look right. :(

·
Registered
286 Posts
I loved Boyd's shop. Wouldn't be awesome to have a job there? Like you guys, I was also glad to see a Ford powerplant going in one of those rods. Warmed my heart.
P.S. Boyd needs to lose the ex wife accountant and her bad attitude!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I watched as well. It is funny haw everyone has a different opinion. I love American Chopper. The Teutels are great. But Boyd's show seemed disingenuine, like a previous poster noted. It does, however make me want to get off my lazy butt and go work in the shop. Damn, that's a clean shop. Now THAT'S a GARAGE MAJAL!!

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I've been watching American Chopper since the beginning; but motorcycles just don't do it for me. It's the fabrication I'm fascinated by. So this show scratched my itch much better! ;) As said earlier, I don't care for the whole hot rod scene. I'd rather see a restoration shop work on "real" cars; but this is an entertaining second!

·
Registered
858 Posts
I liked the show, although it's too much like Monster Garage for my tastes too.

I'd like to see a steel car built from scratch like that :)
man...i saw a clip from monster garage and well...jessey james does NOT tolerate failure! lol, he had some off road rx7 w\a 3rd wheel in the back and he lost the race...so he leaves the car there...comes back w\a mini gun (chain gun) and just WASTES the car and blows it up and its riddled w\bullets, it was hella cool ::

·
Registered
226 Posts
American Chopper was an origional in that it started out to be a show about bikes and ended up being about the PEOPLE that build the bikes. It is obvious that the producers are trying to create that same atmosphere but seems phoney. I enjoy watching them build the cars just the same. Fun to see the big boys screw up too! ::

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I enjoyed the show enough to watch it all, but thought Boyd was promted to act a little tough on the crew. And the timing of him showing up just as the kid was about to jump the little car was too obvious.

And those weren't UCLA colors, they were Michigan colors!!! :: OK, I'm a Penn State Alum, but I can at least support the Bog 10!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts