Vintage Mustang Forums banner
61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
It wouldn't hurt my feeling if everyone went back and re-watched the video. In fact, start at the beginning and go through the whole list while you're there. :)
I think I've seen them all at least once.

·
Registered
277 Posts
But we also know that the 16x7 works because we watched Andy's video.
Yes, but 16x7 is not the same as a 8' wheel with the correct BS. Just trying to say been through all this before at great lengths.

The wider tires really should be mounted on the 8" wheel.

Trying to save you the time and heartache

Thanx!

·
Registered
365 Posts
The interesting part here is that the 16x7 wheel comes in a 4.0 BS, and after adding a 1/4” spacer, you have the proper backspace of 4.25.
However, the 16x8 wheel comes in 4.89 and the 1/4” spacer does NOT get you to the proper 4.5 backspace. That’s just not fair 🙂.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
The interesting part here is that the 16x7 wheel comes in a 4.0 BS, and after adding a 1/4” spacer, you have the proper backspace of 4.25.
Sorry, backwards. Installing the spacer reduces the backspace to 3.75”. It does not increase the backspace.

Reactions: aakrusen

·
Registered
277 Posts
However, the 16x8 wheel comes in 4.89 and the 1/4” spacer does NOT get you to the proper 4.5 backspace. That’s just not fair 🙂.
With the 8" wheel you really need the 4.75" BS

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Yes, but 16x7 is not the same as a 8' wheel with the correct BS. Just trying to say been through all this before at great lengths.

The wider tires really should be mounted on the 8" wheel.

Trying to save you the time and heartache

Thanx!
We're way past the time of saving time and heartache. :p

@aakrusen seems to have mounted the 225 on the 7in rims and so far he hasn't reported anything hitting or the tires falling off. He did try spacers on the front although it's hard to tell from the pictures as to why.

I think these look great. Maybe later I'll try the 8in/4.89BS later or maybe not.

·
Registered
793 Posts
We're way past the time of saving time and heartache. :p

@aakrusen seems to have mounted the 225 on the 7in rims and so far he hasn't reported anything hitting or the tires falling off. He did try spacers on the front although it's hard to tell from the pictures as to why.

I think these look great. Maybe later I'll try the 8in/4.89BS later or maybe not.
The front spacers were not on the car in this pic. In fact, they're not on the car right now, I can't make up my mind on what I want to do with them at the moment.
The front fenders do need a little rolling, but that's partly because of how low the car is.
You may or may not need to roll the rear fenders, mine have been messed with before I got the car, so I don't know how this setup would fit with "normal" fenders.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
The front spacers were not on the car in this pic. In fact, they're not on the car right now, I can't make up my mind on what I want to do with them at the moment.
The front fenders do need a little rolling, but that's partly because of how low the car is.
You may or may not need to roll the rear fenders, mine have been messed with before I got the car, so I don't know how this setup would fit with "normal" fenders.
I'm prepared to roll if needed. One of the advantages of not having paint on the car yet.

Plus with coil over Vikings I can tweak the front ride height with precision (no cutting springs).

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I didn't think finding the right lug nuts was going to be as much of a challenge as the wheels.

Thinking about going with this style but then I need new studs too.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Locking hubs

Tire Wheel Locking hubs Automotive tire Vehicle brake

Easily clear the upper arm although we’ll see once they have tires on them.

But I’m not sure about my plan to buy them from two different places.
Product Font Material property Gas Rectangle

Font Material property Ticket Parallel Paper

Looks like Summit sent me the wrong wheels. I confirmed my order is correct. So the pictures above are the 15x7.

Good news. Called Summit and they are going to overnight the right wheels so I can still get the tires mounted on Friday.

I honestly thought that if an order would get screwed up it would be Jegs.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
The studs only need lug nuts that capture the same amount of threads as the diameter of the stud. I thought you were just going for a certain look.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
And... JEGS ended up screwing me too.

My little game plan completely blew up in my face.

One of the 16x7 wheels from JEGS has a dent in the rim and the painted center couldn't pass inspection by a blind person.

Game plan is to get Summit to send me 4 overnight.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

Light Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Alloy wheel

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Wheel Tire Automotive design Synthetic rubber

61 - 80 of 110 Posts