Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much should my Ammeter move if the charging system is operating normally on my 66 Mustang. Thank for the help.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Typically they seem to move about ....| |.... that much. Just enough to say it's doing something.

In theory they could move a lot more, but in practice age and those weak corroded connections mean that they don't.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have to look very hard and sometimes I thinks it is in my head, but it does move ever so slightly. I put a small volt meter by the battery under the hood. Gives me piece of mine.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
From day one NEW, They barely move....and if they do..and it's working....It will only move 5-10% to Right side. The D - C letters stand for Discharge, and Charge. It's without a doubt, The MOST USELESS guage on the entire '65-'66 cluster. Today, We have modern alternatives...and are mixed... Some people just leave it...and forget that its even there...Some people put in more accurate Ammeter gauges, or some people remove the guage and install a VOLTS (Voltmeter guage) instead which is way more usable.. I vote for the last one...

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
The majority show no movement. Some articles also mention that since the ammeter is always "live" they may even start a fire in the car.

So most people replace them with a voltmeter that shows if the battery is overcharging indicating the voltage regulator is bad.

I replaced the ammeter in my 71 with the one found in the link below and it works great! Original gauge is converted to a voltmeter.

https://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-volt-all

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The last two pictures posted by Tony K. are my instrument cluster. I designed and built the prototype that you see in those images. After completing the first unit (shown in the photo) I had planned on producing a kit that anyone with basic shop skills could use to build one for their own car. The response to voltmeters from fellow VMFer's was lukewarm at best, so I shelved the project and put the money I would have spent printing and water-jet cutting the components into my '66.
You can see a video of my project at:
My son has a couple dozen gauge face appliques that he is selling with instructions and patterns for the mounting disks that we are not producing. His email address can be found at the very end of the YouTube video. He may revive the project with enough interest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts