Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i was passing a burnt down store front today i noticed the fence to be down.the store front has been like this for years now and just recently noticed the fence.looking at this something gold srtuck me as i pulled to the side i noticed a/70/ 71 amx 71/72 fastback or mach covered but torn cover revealed a stang and many others im going to ask the owner monday if he will sell the stangs .people around say they have been thier along time .my question is the amx the body work has been done welded quarters etc new vinal top needs finishing looks like prep/paint think its a 390 cid if i can get it are they worth anything and how much as for the stangs i allready have a good idea

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 71stang on 03/17/01 09:42 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I think AMC's AMX is collectible and they're not common so they'll stand out in a car show. I thought they're cool but I don't think they have the wide appeal the Camaros and Mustangs have.

If it's complete it'll be worth looking into. Finding parts will be tricky (Hemmings Motor News comes to mind)

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
The AMX very neat car . I think 50 years from now I will be worth much more than a standard
type mustang ( who cares most of us will be room temperature by then). AMC should be very proud
of their risky endeavor into muscle cars. The car is a classy piece of american iron. It is not (thanks)
a product of G.M. If you can get it right... Go for it. Even if you don't take the project on yourself
drag it indoors someplace and sit on it.
jimbo

M.C.A.# 50000
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575692&a=11979479&p=43517165.jpg

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Even though they are somewhat rare, well-restored AMX's don't bring more than mid-teens when sold. It was a heck of a muscle car in it's time, but never really captured any mind-share. As I recall, no self-respecting muscle car owner at the time wanted to be associated with AMC, whose reputation for quality and reliability wasn't even on a par with Ford or Chevy, never mind the imports that came later. The Javelin AMX did a bit better a few years later.

My Ponies
http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/Mach1painted.jpg http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/65vert.jpg

·
Registered
35,317 Posts
If it's a '70 AMX (last of the 2 seaters) it may be worth something if it's cheap enough. It's really hard to tell visibly which engine as the 290-304-343-360-390-401 all look the same externally. I had a '69 AMX with a 290 & T-10 and it really handled well due to the factory traction bars and short wheelbase, in spite of the archaic front suspension. The later '71 & up models were essentially Javelins with performance mods. Also, IIRC the 290, 343 and 390 were available up to '69, then the 360 and 401 starting in '70 (or maybe the 401 was '71).

'66 A-code Fastback (therapy)
'89 Town Car (SWMBO D'driver)
'87 Caprice (as req'd by Hagerty)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts