Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know AC has been dealt with in previous posts but nobody has really talked much about price. I'm in Houston and hell (aka Summer) is not far away. To top it off to this New Yorker born and raised this 110 degree 100 humidity thing is a fate worse than death.

I've been quoted everywhere from $600 to $1500 for AC kits. I figure I can probably swing doing the work myself. My main concern is the cost. The cheapest kits I seen in the magazines are about $850 for a daily driver non-original looking unit. Original looking R134 setups start at $1100 I believe.

Has anyone installed one of these kits? Did you do the research and buy with the most affordable setup? Any problems?

I've also seen a complete heat/defrost/ac unit being sold by (i think) vintage air. looks beautiful (totally replaces the heater setup on the car and fits all under-dash) but i bet it commands some serious loot. anyone have any experience with this?

thank again,
aaron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'd like to add a question to this post -- I've been considering installing A/C in my 67 too. Other than buying the new kits referenced in the first post -- can you get a used original system? If so, how much, and where? Also, are there any sources on how to install A/C and what parts are needed (other than the obvious compressor and vents)?

Thanks

1967 Fastback, 289, C-code, AT, PS,
motorsport intake and valve covers, Edelbrock 4V, cam - otherwise stock
dark moss green, parchment interior,
GT rear valance and tips

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I've got an original '65 A/C system (under dash) that I'm considering selling. It's in mint condition, but will need new hoses and drier. I work in the mobile A/C industry, and can assist with installation questions. I don't, however, know if the '65 system will fit a '67.
Email me if interested.
Jim

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572917&a=11954864&p=43789295.jpg

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I purchased a 1966 system from someone that lives near me. They converted their car to a road racer and didn't want air. I obliged and got the entire system for $300.00!!! *G*

If I were you, I would get the R134 system, with the centrifugal compressor. This system (10HP?) will not use as much HP as the old York compressors (22HP). also, refrigerant is available at Pep Boys and the like.

However, nothin' beats good old R-12 and a deal on a used system!

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12409371&p=45488890.jpg

·
Registered
514 Posts
Anyone know if you can get the parts to install the cent. compressor/R134 system on a 351 in a 65/66 body? I've been thinking about getting the system NPD sells, but I want to put a 351 in and I don't want to re-buy parts. I'm not sure the compressor would fit under the hood with the taller engine.

http://216.71.48.244/archive/mikecar.jpg

65 Fastback 289 4spd in storage :-(
91 CRX Si... A.K.A. my go-kart with AC!

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I installed the classic auto air system(from NPD $895) in my 66. Took about 8 hours to install, no real problems. Could do 2nd in less now. NPD lists an underdash unit for a 67 same price. I'm very happy with mine, and would do it over again.

If the under dash repros work, I don't see why a 65 or 66 wouldn't work. Someone probably has a better answer though. I like the new compressor though, it is much quiter than the original that I have on the other 66. that my .02c

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Another option is to look at one of th eaftermarket units such as Vintage Air. They run a little less than original tyoe units.

Gene J

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584519&a=12058180&p=43615717.jpg
66 Coupe/66 Convert/84 GT Turbo/96 coupe

Gene's cars

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1966conv,

how do you like the looks of the unit? nothing can compare to the original but they may just be out of my range. i've seen some heinous setups out there too.

-aaron

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
The under dash unit looks very good. I have both, anoriginal and a repro. The repro does not have the mustang emblem, but is still very good
In the event you find an original you like later it can be swapped out.

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Count your blessings...at least your yrear model has room for an underdash unit. On my 70, I'll have to find a used setup somewhere and patch it together.

unless, that is, I want to pay Vintageair $1100-1200 for one of thiers :)

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1617246&a=12411361&p=45146549.jpg

1970 Fastback, 4V 351C, various colors with black interior

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I bought a VintageAir A/C system for the '65 garage shelf awhile back. It looks like a straight forward install (haven't gotten beyond the stage of opening the box). Some detracting points I noticed is the massively heavy cast iron crank pulley. I don't think I want to slap that in front of my Aluminum March crank pulley. The compressor mount bracket blocks access to the distributor hold down bracket. The idler pulley is held in place by tightening the only bolt holding it on. The indash unit cools or heat the interior air only, no provisions for drawing in fresh air from the outside. You loose some glove box room.

I remember a discussion from the old Forum that the instructions for the '67 'Stangs left much to be desired.

I plan on modifying the kit a bit but can't do much about the loss of glove box space. *G*

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll have to check out the old forum -- that's what I was afraid of though. I don't drive the stang daily, and really only a few times the past few summers (hope to do more this year) -- hardly seems worth the effort and $$ to put one in. But it would be nice to have fresh cool air though. Used to take the stang to a friday night street-racing night at a drag strip about an hour away. A friend had a 65 f/b and he and I had the best 2 looking cars there. Most guys brought an engine, tranny, tires on some form of rusted body in primer to race. They went a lot faster, but man, we looked good. Anyway, I always thought it woud be nice to have A/C running while I'm sitting in line waiting to pull up to the staging lights, and then turn the A/C off just before I did my burnout.

Thanks for the info.

1967 Fastback, 289, C-code, AT, PS,
motorsport intake and valve covers, Edelbrock 4V, cam - otherwise stock
dark moss green, parchment interior,
GT rear valance and tips

1 - 12 of 12 Posts