Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just doing some research on the eventual AOD swap into the 65. I have an 86 AOD with the truck selector lever on it and a welded mod to make it line up with the floor shifter rod. There is a Lokar TV cable already mounted to the tranny. This is how I got this unit. It was in a 68 and was working in that config, though I do not know with what carb. Enter the motor side of the equation; I have an Eddy 1406 on the 302. This is how the 65 came. So far from my research, Edelbrock does not have an adapter to correct the carb linkage for the TV cable, and only suggests the carb bracket for the back toe which I believe I have. Am I correct in thinking that as long as the 'pulls' on the cable appear straight (no angle between cable stay and lever attachment when at rest) that I'm good to go? Researching older threads talks about changing the actuator on the transmission to a 90 model in one thread, and 'the kids are all right' in another which contradict. Though, it was good to read a johnpro thread.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I used this for years before changing my Edelbrock out for a Holley.

I would also HIGHLY recommend installing a valve body or shift kit that provides constant pressures. This makes the adjustments of the TV cable only a matter of shift timing and eliminates that all-talked-about AOD failure if it’s adjusted incorrectly.

And finally acquire this spring/stop.

Without it WOT operation will eventually stretch your TV cable adjustment to where you’ll be getting softer then wanted shifts. This spring/stop will eliminate that issue.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has an upgraded valve body, SPT-R.
My linkage on the 1406 does not accept the adapter you reference. The current linkage is the 1483, which I just found in a different reference from Edelbrock that says NOT for AOD, and oddly '68 and up' for the application for whatever that is worth. Nice. Looks like I need the original throttle bracket for the carb, the adapter, and the Lokar bracket, which I believe I still have on the cable, for the back toe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts