Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked again just to make sure I knew what I was talking about. Rotating the fan (in turn rotating the dampener,etc.) causes the flex plate to move. Keep in mind this is at very slow speeds. Turning the starter motor (using the ignition switch) turns the flexplate, but nothing on the front of the engine (dampener, fan, etc) moves. There is also no indication that the engine is trying to turn over. I got to looking through the POs records, and the engine is Jasper with a 36 month/50k mile warranty. It has about 20k miles and it's been 33 months since it was installed. Has anybody dealt with Jasper on warranty issues? Do I stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting them to fix this? Is their warranty transferable from one owner to another? When I had my C-4 put in replacing the original 4-speed, did the shop probably have to change the flexplate? If so, I'm guessing the warranty wouldn't cover a defect in the new flexplate. Thanks for the help, with a little luck I can get them to fix the problem (plus the oil leak, plus the ticking noise if that wasn't related to the flywheel problem...).

'65 289 4V Edelbrock 1405 600CFM C-4 yada yada yada

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Hi, you will have to go under the car with a light and find out what the problem is first. Pull the dust cover off and shine the light up at the back of the engine, look where the flexplate bolts to the crankshaft you should be able to see if it is broken. If the flex plate is broken you will probably have to pay for it if it is not broken then it will be something internally and you might be able to get Jasper to fix it. You should be able to see the cracks or lots of metal when you pull the dust cover off. John

Opal frost pearl metallic 67 coupe http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/febef75b01.JPG
also have a 95 opal frost pearl G/T BOSS edition convertible belongs to swmbo

G

·
0 Posts
I still gota say you've got a broken flex plate. Turning the front of the motor (fan) overcomes engine compression and the flex plate will go along for the ride (friction). Using the starter friction can't overcome engine compression. If the car was converted from a 4spd to an automatic the flex plate was installed at that time, could have either been new or used depending on the shop. Any warranty issues would have to be discussed with the shops doing the work. Bet when you replace the flex plate the ticking goes away as well, a cracked plate will tick and knock as the break gets worse right up until complete failure. The shop I used to work for (1988) used a lot of Jasper engines, best warranty we could get from them was 12mo/12,000mi.

68 restomod coupe
69 Mach1
67 coupe - Son's

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that the Jasper engine (it was "complete" with heads, oil pan, etc) has the 36 month warranty (I have the warranty paperwork), but if it's a different flexplate than what they shipped with the engine I guess it doesn't matter. So, the flexplate has to be changed to go from a manual to an automatic? I checked with Autozone and they only have one listed for a 65 Mustang (a 157 tooth that replaces the original 160 tooth). It's only $65 so that's not too bad even if I have to do the work myself. Can the flexplate be changed with the engine and tranny still in the car? I know I'll have to raise the engine a bit to make room... I just hope it's just the flexplate that cracked and that bolts haven't bee sheared off in the end of the crankshaft :( Thanks for the help! :)

'65 289 4V Edelbrock 1405 600CFM C-4 yada yada yada

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Hi, don't take the engine apart just take the trans. out or drop the crossmember and driveshaft and back the trans out so that you can get at the flexplate to crankshaft bolts take them out and replace it then put it back together. Take the bolts out of the torque converter thru the flex plate don't take the converter out of the trans it will make life alot simpler in the end. John

Opal frost pearl metallic 67 coupe http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/febef75b01.JPG
also have a 95 opal frost pearl G/T BOSS edition convertible belongs to swmbo

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Two possibilities. Six sheared bolts on the crank to flex plate or the ring gear on the plate for the starter is loose.

It might not be too bad. Just lots of labor. If the installer used cheap bolts (you said he converted from manual to auto) that might be what happened.

Gene J

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584519&a=12058180&p=43615717.jpg
66 Coupe/66 Convert/84 GT Turbo/96 coupe

Gene's cars

1 - 7 of 7 Posts