Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that I AM MISSING a lead wire that goes from the wiring harness under the carpet and then into the shifter.

Great huh? So now, JUST to get my stupid light working, I have to rip up the carpet to run that lead. Unless one of the electricity wizards here knows any better way..

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I'm not sure if this will work on the '67-'73s but if I had to put an A/T shifter light harness in I would get a wire coat hanger and stretch it out to Slim Jim mode. One end I would form a loop around the wire harness connectors that attach to the under dash wiring and the other end I would slide under the carpet from the shifter hole towards the firewall. Once the tip hits the fire wall, pull it out from under the carpet. May have to bend the exposed wire away from the firewall as you feed it through. May be wise to remove some of the screws which hold down the front carpet. Carfully cut the coat hanger loop with wire cutters once it pops out at the fire wall end.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh yeah, my dad (the do-it-yourselfer around here) suggested that also! Looks like that's what we'll be doing one of these days...

Thank you very much for your input, Dean...

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
The crack about the Lazy Man is a reference to what Frank Gilbraith, Pioneer of Time-Motion Study said in regards to finding the most efficient way of doing a job: Find how a lazy person would do it. Just my weird sense of humor making an obscure reference and not by any means intending to imply only lazy people can find the most efficient way of doing things.

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, now once the coat hanger is "threaded" through the carpet into the shifter, and firewall, how the hell am I supposed to attach a lightbulb to it?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The bulb socket can be purchased from any Mustang shop (at least it can be for the '66 ... not sure about '67). The socket inserts into a slot on the shifter arm and will have 2 leads ... one to plug into the wire you need to run under the carpet, and the other is a ground wire that attaches to a bolt.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro
http://www.classic-mustang.net/john66/mustang/pics/66fsides2.jpg

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shifter arm you say? So like, at the end of the "T-handle"?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
If I remember correctly, the A/T shifter arm near where it is bolted to the cross shaft in the shifter bucket, there is a piece of metal welded to the shifter with a rectangular hole in it. The shifter light clips into the rectangular hole.

Hope that made sense, end of the day haze in my brain...

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhh HA! So then from the little piece of metal welded into the shifter, I should clip a light assembly onto, then run two wires from the bulb? One to a ground within the shifter unit, and one back to the wiring harness via coat hanger?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I think there's a hole drilled nearby on the trans tunnel itself, maybe within one of the dimples on top nearby. Make sure the wires are routed between the metal plate (which the shifter bezel is bolted to) that is attached to the shifter bucket and the bucket assy. I think if you bolt the plate on first and route the wires over it there is a chance the shifter bezel may pinch it.

Regards and happy wrenching!

Dean T

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
... and the power for the bulb will come from a light blue with red stripe wire. There is one near your cigarette lighter that has a yellow, triple female end on it.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was worried about pinching a wire but electricity doesn't need a lot of room...

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I need 3 wires?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
No, No, No. that's just where You'll plug a male end into. From that connection there is a length of jumper wire about 20-24 inches long that comes out from under the carpet at the shifter. There's enough room for it to slip under the plate the bezel screws into. The bullet holding the lamp has a small male connector that plugs into the jumper, and has a hoop connector that is attached to the transmission tunnel by a sheet metal screw. The light comes on when the headlamps are turned on. The light blue/red stripe wire is the power for all your dash lamps and such. That yellow connector is also where 65-6 radios get their light power from. Look back at your earlier post, I talked about your having a tang with round hole on the RHS of your shift handle.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The problem is, there isn't a wire coming out from udner the carpet anywhere, as if it had been removed for some reason... And what the hell IS that hole for anyway? =)

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
The hole in the end of the metal bullet? The metal bullet slips over the lamp socket. the hole on the end focuses the light into a fine, pen beam to illuminate only the gear selected. The Bullet has a strap around it that clicks into the rectangular hole that's been described. Since the power lead jumper wire is missing, you'll have to make one and run it under the carpet using the coat hanger/wire snake trick.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmm, OK... Well, I'm going to fool around with it today for a couple hours! Thanks for all your help, but don't stop dropping by this thread PLEASE!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts