Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too hard.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~dodgeram/images/ENGIN034.jpg

Now for the fun of rebuilding it and making it better, stronger, faster than it was before. More photos on the website. I think something was missing between the shock towers......like a heavy gauge peice of metal /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

·
Premium Member
19,212 Posts
I think something was missing between the shock towers......like a heavy gauge peice of metal

Please elaborate: Was something cut out from the shock towers or did something give while you were removing it?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Interesting set of headers; did you cut them that way or were they broken and just came out that way. Was the tranny out already and just left the torque converter on; did you spill a little tranny fluid when tilting the engine?

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The headers had to go....and some of the bolts didn't cooperate....so Mr Tungsten Steel SawZaw Blade gave them a little talking too.

Mid - I thought there was a lower peice of metal that ran between the shock towers but there is none on DT.

Either I am wrong, or it was removed during the previous engine installation.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~dodgeram/images/ENGIN033.jpg

·
Premium Member
19,212 Posts
Yikes! No cross-over support tube that goes under the oil pan! That's a main structural component that keeps the shock towers and frame rails separated. I don't even remove mine when the car is stripped and on the lift.

If you were hit in an accident, that car would be gone to the crusher. Unfortunately, those cross-over tubes are not repro'ed. You're gonna have to get one from a parts car somewhere or a used mustang place.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
You need a crossmember down there. Don't drive the car without it. Particularly with a big block in there.

I had a friend back when that did something similar with his Chevy LUV truck. He had dropped in a Chebby 302 and had to leave the crossmember out to make it fit. The front end eventually splayed to the point that the tires actually scrubbed themselves bald in a week.

The crossmember does not actually support any weight, but it does keep things from splaying.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
You can buy an aftermarket crossover that connects at the back of the frame bracket mounts. Its stronger than the stock tubular frame brace. If you go looking for the stock part used, be sure to get the two special bolts that are used with the stock brace, they're tapered on the back sides of the heads to pull the brace into the desired position.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Actually what surprises me is your front tires aren't leaning in at the top because the bottom separated. Betcha PO removed it to get the headers to work...

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
There ain't no steerin' stuff in there!!!!
Looks like someone tried something beyond their ken and gave the
problem to you!

Bruce (TX)

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,197 Posts
Nicholas my man, I'm just glad you're ALIVE!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts