Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I just joined up and am picking up a basketcase '68 hardtop (or coupe or notchback:shrug:)tomorrow. I scored it cheap and hope to do it as a father/son project as my 16 y/o is taking auto body in school and I've done a '62 Tbird and have the tools and shop to do this. What are the things I should keep in mind? I know pretty much any part you need is out there as far as patch panels and every other part too (totally different than my Bird). I'll post some pics tomorrow.

BTW anyone in O-HI-O?

·
Registered
254 Posts
welcome
i'm 'iowa' dave
i did a '66 coupe w/my 16 y/o son
great time and experience for us both
look forward to your pictures and progress
iowa

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I always enjoy reading along on father/son (or daughter) projects,
they are quality time spent together.

As you mentioned Mustangs have many parts available for them
and compared to other cars reasonably priced.

Where are you located in Ohio?
I'm between Dayton and Cincinnati.

·
Registered
35,883 Posts
The 68 is a vary do-able car in any condition, although there are a few hard parts. Be very careful with the overhead seat belt clips, for example. The 68 seat belts themselves were a one-year deal, so get them rebuilt, or at least bag them up if you don't use them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking to build a fun driver. Maybe some resto-mod stuff. I'm not 100% sure on what I'm starting with as I bought it sight unseen. But it was cheap and there are plenty of them out there.

·
Registered
35,883 Posts
I'm looking to build a fun driver. Maybe some resto-mod stuff. I'm not 100% sure on what I'm starting with as I bought it sight unseen. But it was cheap and there are plenty of them out there.
Well, if you want increased power, you can get a 289 above 300 hp for under $1000. Ditto for improved handling. I could give you a list of do's and don'ts.

One of my favorite don'ts, for example, it you should avoid exotic ignition systems. Very fashionable right now, but the least effective dollar-for-dollar upgrade. A well-adjusted stock ignition is within a few percent of the same performance. Adding an inexpensive electronic conversion pretty much closes that gap.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Welcome to VMF. Sounds like a nice father/son project. Keep us posted on progress.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Welcome! My 16 year old and I are currently working on a '65 (told him he could take his driver's test when it is on the road, so he's pretty motivated to help... although it's destined to be MY daily driver :^).

Originally from PA, but you O-hi-O guys are okay (at least you're part of the right conference :^).

Best of luck on the project! Let's see some pics...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Welcome,

James from Central Illinois, I have some family over near Cincinnati.

Welcome to a great Mustang online community. A very friendly bunch with a great range of backgrounds and experience levels.

Some of my best bonding time with both my boys happened in the garage. Unfortunately both of their cars have left the family (one by wreck the other by his choice). But the memories and photos will be left with us forever. My step children didn't have this experience and they have no clue about basic car stuff and just expect cars to always run.

Try to set some schedule around your garage time so you both know when it will be and hold yourselves to it. It will be a great time.

And send plenty of updates and photos along the way.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I hope the roof is in good shape they dont make replacement roof skins for coupes for some reason. Biggest headache I had with my car so far since my car originally had a vinyl roof.

good luck with the project looks like you two have your work cut out for you !!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope the roof is in good shape they dont make replacement roof skins for coupes for some reason. Biggest headache I had with my car so far since my car originally had a vinyl roof.

good luck with the project looks like you two have your work cut out for you !!!!
Thanks. You've got a real nice car 68GT. Are there more pics of it?
Plus what are the major differences between a 6 cyl car and an 8? The car I got was a 6 but I do have a 302 and automatic to drop in.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Thanks. You've got a real nice car 68GT. Are there more pics of it?
Plus what are the major differences between a 6 cyl car and an 8? The car I got was a 6 but I do have a 302 and automatic to drop in.
few more in the link below....my interrior is taken apart right now and in these pics I'm converting it to all black with Fox body Stang seat covered in black vinyl that has a similar texture to the original vinly. I also will get the black leather wrapped Moto Lita steering wheel soon and the rest of my interrior will be redone with original parts. I like the classic look with original style new gauges. My door metal, lower dash metal, and rear panels are all the same blue as the outside but I may change it to back well see later. In these pics I even have no front floor pans :}0

link to pics....
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/626613-finally-nice-day-clean-car-few-pics.html

6 cylinder has 4 lug weels and 6 cylinder brakes and suspension. That's the main differences I'm aware of sorry not too much help there I always had just this V8 car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts