Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Back in the olden days I played a lot of competitive volleyball. Used to travel the East Coast playing tournaments before the AVP went under. Mostly it was all fun, but occasionally it would get ugly. Now I just have two bad knees and a wrecked shoulder. Still play every so often. No longer doubles though, way too old for that nonsense.
Fixing the knees and shoulder is easy. I don't play anymore cuz the damage on the hip from the car wreck finally got too bad.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
@DrHawkeye I've had a complete shoulder rebuild (3 dislocations on the job), wife has had an ACL repair and later scar tissue clean-up on that knee (car crash), wife had both knees scoped the end of 2019 (no arthritis), sister-in-law has had a rotator cuff repair ...all by the same surgeon...and she just finally had a total hip replacement because of an early 80s car wreck and a 90s fall...by the first surgeon's partner. I think we should qualify for some kind of frequent flyer miles or family discount.
I got to play volleyball with some very pretty girls in Russia in 1993 as a visiting student.
If I were a ladies' volleyball ref, there'd be no losers.

·
Administrator
19,793 Posts
I take it then that casual games for fun and playing in school must not qualify one as "a player" in this particular discussion.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
436 Posts
Now that is INTENSE!
I met Misty May and Kerri Walsh at a tournament in Manhattan Beach. They were so, so nice! Unbelievably kind people. I was walking out of the porta potty (awkward!) and there they were. I just smiled, said hi and kept walking, but they wanted to chat for a bit. While we were talking, a few kids came up and asked for their autographs. They signed their stuff and then peppered with them for like 15 minutes.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Fixing the knees and shoulder is easy. I don't play anymore cuz the damage on the hip from the car wreck finally got too bad.
Sorry to hear that. I’m holding out as long as I can. I had PT on the shoulder a few years ago and it made a world of difference. For a while I had trouble putting a shirt on. I just can’t play as much as I used to, but that gives me more time to drive my car!!

·
Administrator
19,793 Posts
Different perceptions of "intense" then. My idea of intense involves life or death, risk of grievous bodily harm, active shooter, firefight, hostage situation, etc. Sports, not so much.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I met Misty May and Kerri Walsh at a tournament in Manhattan Beach. They were so, so nice! Unbelievably kind people. I was walking out of the porta potty (awkward!) and there they were. I just smiled, said hi and kept walking, but they wanted to chat for a bit. While we were talking, a few kids came up and asked for their autographs. They signed their stuff and then peppered with them for like 15 minutes.
I volunteered at the Chicago AVP event back in '08, when Misty won #100. Was the 2nd time meeting Kerri, and she remembered me from the indoor winter event earlier that year. All the players were very cool and friendly. I used to hit the AVP events in Sac back in the late '80s and met all the guys. Randy Stoklos was a blast.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I’m holding out as long as I can. I had PT on the shoulder a few years ago and it made a world of difference. For a while I had trouble putting a shirt on. I just can’t play as much as I used to, but that gives me more time to drive my car!!
You should get some prolotherapy on the shoulder. Should help it a lot.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Different perceptions of "intense" then. My idea of intense involves life or death, risk of grievous bodily harm, active shooter, firefight, hostage situation, etc. Sports, not so much.
Being ex-EMS those are just something to do, they don't even get me excited anymore.

·
Administrator
19,793 Posts
What? Jaded to all of those? Where did you work EMS, Afghanistan? Baltimore?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Almost 23 years as a Deputy Sheriff so far, plenty of stories to tell I guess...FTO, DUI/SFST/ARIDE/DRE /Hostage & Barricaded Subject...have an entire Patrol squad now. I like to work with my troops.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts