Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom gave me a hand written certificate for a "reasonably priced" paintjob.

What does that mean? I dunno, its very vague.... but im not getting a 5 grand paint job. Maybe 2 grand total at most, including all my primer and such. I plan to do most of the work and have the finishing coat put on by a pro, but do all the prep work up to that myself, as i can get away with doing that in a garage and its easily fixed. Finish coat is the easiest to screw up forever, in my opinion.

So i got the $$ covered..... now i just need the time to do it! I'm doing an engine regasket/detail and sandblasting the eng. compartment and undercarriage and por15ing them like i did the interior floors. The sand blast / por 15 combo works really really good as far as i found, and i dont plan on doing floor pans in the future.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
The paint is the cheap part... it's the prep work and, to a lesser extent, a good rub out and buff that'll drive up the price. Let's hope she's not thinking of a MAACO special!

Steve

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Most shops will not paint a car unless they also do the prep, if you are defining the prep as the undercoating and maybe a little roughing up of the surface- scuffing. Other shops won't paint unless they also do any of the body work under the primer.

The reason for this is that no matter how well you shoot the finish coats (base/clear or just single stage) if the primer is not laid on correctly, say too much drying time between coats without sanding, or perhaps the car was not clean completely before priming so that primer went over a grease spot, or even sanding dust in the primer, the top coat can crack, or fisheye or otherwise have blemishes. This reflects badly on the shop and also they won't want to do it cause they warranty their paint job and can't do that and be responsible for someone else's work.

If you can find a shop that will work with you, great. Usually, some place like MACCO or 1 day auto body and paint will work with you. These are shops that "scuff and shoot" with minimal time spent in prepping the body. If you want them to detail the prep before shooting, then you pay extra.

JohnPro here took his 66 coupe to 1 day auto body and paint and they did a nice job for around $900 YOu can see the paint job in the picture at his signature on his posts. JohnPro did most of the take off of chrome, bumpers, etc. himself and had previously prepped the body prior to a prior paint job.

Painting is also very unique, in quality, according to the man behind the paint gun. An "el cheapo" paint shop might have a great painter who really should be doing custom work somewhere else. So, you can't judge much by chain brand names, except for the quality of their material. That can be gotten around if they have good prep and paint skills by supplying your own materials.

As for "ruining" a paint job by poor application of top coat, I don't hold to that. YOu do more to ruin a paint job by poor prep underneath the top coat. That comes back to haunt you. If you scew up on a top coat, you can always sand it and shoot another coat over the part or panel. The downside is that the finish paint costs a lot more than primer. Also, if you lay down a good color coat and then mess up with a run or sag or dirt in the clear coat, you can always block sand the clear coat in 1200 to 2500 grit wet sandpaper, then polish out the finish. A lot of average paint jobs turn fantastic with this final color sanding. The real test of a great paint job is whether they can make it look good, with that touch of "factory" appearance orange peel, without subsequent color sanding/polishing.

Just my 2 cents worth based on my experience and research.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yah... i know. and i know.. and i know......... hense why i keep wanting to sell the car :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts