Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feitlebaum! (Now there's a Callback and a half for all you REALLY old Farts out there.)

Seriously the winner for the offending component causing my surging idle SEEMS TO BE...the PCV valve. I bought one the same shape as my old one (Autozone sucks so bad, they don't even have a book that tells you what PCV valve goes with what car...mine may be for a 1984 Navistar...I have no idea but it fits)

Anyway...the idle dropped down and the surge went away, leading me to believe that the old PCV valve was acting like a vacuum leak and bleading off enough vacuum that the power valve was being held open. I'll take some vacuum readings when I get a chance and make sure that I have 2 inches above the powervalve setting at idle. That's what Holley recommends.

Knock on wood. I think I got her licked. I still have NO IDEA why screwing in the secondary floats all the way also cured the surge. Does anyone have any ideas?

Phil

By the way...did ANYONE get the Callback??? Spike Jones ring any bells???

·
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. I still think an MSD box and a new distributor would help some...but for now I think I'm good to go with my stock distributor and the pertronix unit.

I've still got C4 issues. I've got to baby the 1-2 shift. 2-3 is fine. I played with the band adustment and the pressure setting, but I coudn't notice any change. I think it just got "More Powered" into submission /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif. Well, there's always that AOD-E 4R70W in my garage...just waiting for some smartsumbitch to explain how I can hook up the shifter linkage to it. And before anyone jumps in here...NO IT IS NOT THE SAME AS AN AOD!/forums/images/icons/mad.gif

I could probably figure it out, but it'd sure be a lot easier to have a "factory" solution. Windsor-fox...if you're reading this...how about a crossmember too, While You Are At IT /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Phil

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Glad you figured out the surging.. Makes sense now!

I've got to baby the 1-2 shift.

What do you mean? Not a hard shift into second?

You might consider an "H" intermediate servo and piston from a C-5

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Doesn't a 289 have a nice edge to its sound as it nears 6,000 rpm?

John Harvey

·
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right Art, MAJOR flare on the 1-2 shift. Something's going away/gone away in the C4. This is a stock, 37 year old transmission, so I don't think anyone would be real surprised to hear that it doesn't like the More Power 289 that's bolted to it.

Rather than have it rebuilt and beef it up, I'm considering installing a 4R70W. I've got one and the electonics to control it...but I would still need to buy:

Shorty headers to clear the larger tranny.
Cable shifter or shifter linkage to work with the AOD-E.
Crossmember
Dipstick
BlockPlate

And possibly a yoke. I'm really starting to consider bagging it, selling everything (the tranny, baumann TCS, flexplate, and Torque Convertor) to get enough cash to rebuild my c4 and install some upgraded internals. That means I'll be giving up on overdrive for good, though and that's a big dream of mine. This is a wide ratio 4R70W too, so it would be equal to installing a lower rear end. I think it would make my 2.79 act more like a 3.50 or so.

I need to figure out a direction in the next 6 months. Until then I'm lifting at 5000 rpm, letting the tranny upshift and then getting back into the throttle. That works fine...it just isn't as good as it could be.

Phil

G

·
0 Posts
You need to scream at me about the 4R70W I need one for a project & I can do KILLER C-4's. Just imagine what a 1000 HP '66 with a 1.2 60' at the strip can do to one!

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
William Tell Overture

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a beautiful day for the race. Stu Chan is the favourite today, Assault is in there, Dog Bisquit is three to one, Safety Pin has been scratched, and at twenty to one: Feitlebaum. Now the horses are approaching the starting gate, and eh, THERE THEY GOOOOOO!

And it's Stu Chan going to the front, Cabbage is second on the rail, Beautiful Linda is third by a length, and Feitlebaum. Around the first turn Stu Chan is still in front, Cabbage is second by a head (Cabbage by a head!), Beautiful Linda is third and Feitlebaum. Into the back stretch, Dog Bisquit is now leading the pack, Lady Avalon is second, very close. Banana is coming up through the bunch (Banana coming up through the bunch!) and Feitlebaum. At the half Stu Chan still out in the front, Apartment House is second with plenty of room, Assault is passing Battery (Assault and Battery!), Notary's Old Jack is fourth, and in last place by ten lengths I believe it is, yes, it is Feitlebaum. Around the turn, heading for home, it's Stu Chan and Dog Bisquit and Girdle in the stretch. Flying Sylvester is third and Mother-In-Law nagging in the rear (Oh! Oh! Oh!). And now they come down to the wire, and it's number one and now number two and it's very close, it'll either be a photo finish or an oil painting, and now Louis speaks with the left, and Louis is in there, slugging, and it's a battle, and now they are tearing hair, there's hair all over the ring, there's hair all over the place, I don't know whose hair it is. It' mine! AND THERE GOES THE WINNERRRRRRRRR! Feitlebaum.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
A $40. kit and you're back in biddness with the C-4.

I've rebuilt several, all you need is a Ford Shop Manual, a pair of snap ring pliers, pair of 6" C clamps.

Anybody that can replace a frame rail on a unibody can rebuild a C-4... My hat's off to ya pal!

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
So Kent...you must have done a search and come up with that obscure one....or did you listen to Dr. Demento's radio show VERY closly....

Who does that? I'm guessing it's an old Spike Jones bit but can't recall at the moment....

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,827 Posts
Don't actually know, but my guess is Groucho. "A Day At The Races"?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts