Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
painted my car last night!! Thanks to my dad for shooting it for me. I haven't gotten it out in the light yet, but looked really good in the shop. Finished the last round about 2:00am this morning Here are some pics. This is the 2nd paint job we have ever done and I'm pretty please with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also, wanted to note our home made paint booth picture was prior to cleaning the bay out for painting. I just took this shot as we were getting ready to clean it up.

·
Registered
836 Posts
also, wanted to note our home made paint booth picture was prior to cleaning the bay out for painting. I just took this shot as we were getting ready to clean it up.
LOL thats the first thing i thought! looks great, so what r planing to do with the interior panels since you deleted the upper vents?

·
Registered
28 Posts
painted my car last night!! Thanks to my dad for shooting it for me. I haven't gotten it out in the light yet, but looked really good in the shop. Finished the last round about 2:00am this morning Here are some pics. This is the 2nd paint job we have ever done and I'm pretty please with it.
Nice!!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am thinking about putting speakers in that section on the panel or possibly making a panel to fill in the area.

I think the booth helped alot. Very little trash in the paint. Also, helped to keep the rest of the shop from being covered in paint. I am putting our vent pics up. Very shade tree way to do it but worked well. A little improvement since we learned alittle with our 1st paint job.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
There is a lot of stuff on the floor in the picture. After you cleaned it, what did you do to make sure that there was no dust lingering in the air while you painted? Any type of cleanup (or even movement while painting is going to kick up dust. Did you just give it plenty of time to settle?

Thanks for sharing, it's an inspiration to home paint booth systems, because I envisioned the same thing: plastic sheets and box fans. I like how you used the garage door. Now I have a much better idea of how to set my booth up. :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
There is a lot of stuff on the floor in the picture. After you cleaned it, what did you do to make sure that there was no dust lingering in the air while you painted? Any type of cleanup (or even movement while painting is going to kick up dust. Did you just give it plenty of time to settle?

Thanks for sharing, it's an inspiration to home paint booth systems, because I envisioned the same thing: plastic sheets and box fans. I like how you used the garage door. Now I have a much better idea of how to set my booth up. :)
A good way to keep from getting dust kicked up from the floor is to wet it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I am thinking about putting speakers in that section on the panel or possibly making a panel to fill in the area.

I think the booth helped alot. Very little trash in the paint. Also, helped to keep the rest of the shop from being covered in paint. I am putting our vent pics up. Very shade tree way to do it but worked well. A little improvement since we learned alittle with our 1st paint job.
Whatever you do u should make it very original! great job

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We had the booth up during priming and blocking too. We are still learning body work and finishing off a car prior to paint so we had alot of stuff on the floor. My dad ran a water hose while I scrubbed the floor with a push broom prior to rolling the car back in for paint.

The air had settled prior to paint and the floor stayed wet while painting. We could drag the air hose around and didn't stir up anything. The air circulation worked pretty well.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It took us a while to make the sail panel metal work look right. Not sure what we will do on the interior panels. It will be different which is what we have done all around the outside. Its fun and exhausting racking my brain trying to come up with a mod that hasn't been done before or at least very few have done. After much trial and error getting it to work I see why few do it. But, it is very rewarding. Either way I go, I will definitely let you know. We are logging pics as we go. Our goal is to make it to a car show in May that we like to go to each year.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
"Kudos" on your project! Gonna look great, when it's done! I have a friend, who paints in a similar type booth, with great results. He claims he likes to change the plastic, before every job, because it will have more static electricity, in the sheeting. He also recommends grounding the car, so that any air-born particles, are attracted away from the car, to the charged sheeting....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Very cool. Would love to see some pictures during the day in the sunlight. Looks great so far.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My garage paint booth is set up exactly the same way right down to the dual fans and old carb board box divider. One thing you might consider is placing a furnace filter in the window opening. The old window screen is good for bigger stuff but pollen and dust will still come in! Nice looking BTW.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Looks great!!! I love home garage paint jobs.

Here is what I found in the home booth setup though. I got a lot less dust if I pressurized the garage, fans blowing in. When I painted with the garage in a vacuum everyplace air could sneak in it brought dust with it. Even with the window open and filters covering it. With it pressurized I just needed to put filters on the fans. Got Hepa filters from HD for $6 or $7. I used a squirrel cage fan out of an old furnace, it moved a LOT of air.

As mentioned before, keeping the floor wet helps a lot.

Static and plastic, never thought about that. Good point.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts