Vintage Mustang Forums banner

and we have paint!!!

3K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  scstang67 
#1 ·
painted my car last night!! Thanks to my dad for shooting it for me. I haven't gotten it out in the light yet, but looked really good in the shop. Finished the last round about 2:00am this morning Here are some pics. This is the 2nd paint job we have ever done and I'm pretty please with it.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I am thinking about putting speakers in that section on the panel or possibly making a panel to fill in the area.

I think the booth helped alot. Very little trash in the paint. Also, helped to keep the rest of the shop from being covered in paint. I am putting our vent pics up. Very shade tree way to do it but worked well. A little improvement since we learned alittle with our 1st paint job.

Attachments

#7 ·
There is a lot of stuff on the floor in the picture. After you cleaned it, what did you do to make sure that there was no dust lingering in the air while you painted? Any type of cleanup (or even movement while painting is going to kick up dust. Did you just give it plenty of time to settle?

Thanks for sharing, it's an inspiration to home paint booth systems, because I envisioned the same thing: plastic sheets and box fans. I like how you used the garage door. Now I have a much better idea of how to set my booth up. :)

#10 ·
We had the booth up during priming and blocking too. We are still learning body work and finishing off a car prior to paint so we had alot of stuff on the floor. My dad ran a water hose while I scrubbed the floor with a push broom prior to rolling the car back in for paint.

The air had settled prior to paint and the floor stayed wet while painting. We could drag the air hose around and didn't stir up anything. The air circulation worked pretty well.

#11 ·
It took us a while to make the sail panel metal work look right. Not sure what we will do on the interior panels. It will be different which is what we have done all around the outside. Its fun and exhausting racking my brain trying to come up with a mod that hasn't been done before or at least very few have done. After much trial and error getting it to work I see why few do it. But, it is very rewarding. Either way I go, I will definitely let you know. We are logging pics as we go. Our goal is to make it to a car show in May that we like to go to each year.

#13 · (Edited)
"Kudos" on your project! Gonna look great, when it's done! I have a friend, who paints in a similar type booth, with great results. He claims he likes to change the plastic, before every job, because it will have more static electricity, in the sheeting. He also recommends grounding the car, so that any air-born particles, are attracted away from the car, to the charged sheeting....

#15 ·
Very cool. Would love to see some pictures during the day in the sunlight. Looks great so far.

#18 ·
My garage paint booth is set up exactly the same way right down to the dual fans and old carb board box divider. One thing you might consider is placing a furnace filter in the window opening. The old window screen is good for bigger stuff but pollen and dust will still come in! Nice looking BTW.:thumbsup:

#20 ·
Looks great!!! I love home garage paint jobs.

Here is what I found in the home booth setup though. I got a lot less dust if I pressurized the garage, fans blowing in. When I painted with the garage in a vacuum everyplace air could sneak in it brought dust with it. Even with the window open and filters covering it. With it pressurized I just needed to put filters on the fans. Got Hepa filters from HD for $6 or $7. I used a squirrel cage fan out of an old furnace, it moved a LOT of air.

As mentioned before, keeping the floor wet helps a lot.

Static and plastic, never thought about that. Good point.

#21 ·
Thanks guys! We didn't think about a smaller filter for the window. Never even hear of the grounding thing befoe. Guess that will be done on the next one. Of course I think the next one I will be painting in my shop.

I am hoping to get it out in the sun on Saturday just to look at it. It was 2:00am when we finished that night and I haven't seen it since. I will post pics if I am able to get it out.

I'm actually in Memphis, TN. So, depends on how the wind falls we may have 60's and sunny or snow. You never know. May end up waiting a little while for wet sanding and buffing. May switch gears and get started on vintage a/c and a steering box.

#23 ·
I would love to be able to get a nice paint job from a garage set up. I think it would give you an even greater sense of pride to be able to go from a to z.

A couple of questions for those that have done this:

1) for the output exhaust, would it be advisable to put a filter on these before the fumes reach the fans? I'm a little freaked about by the thought of ignition :shocked:

2) do most setup have more input fans than output?

3) is wind turbulence a big issue with these setups and if so how did you deal with it?

#30 ·
Fans should blow in, put a filter on the fan. Lots of guys kept telling to blow the fans in, I wanted to "suck" everything out. Too much dust when you put the garage under vacuum. Every place air could come in it brought dust with it. Even with 4 large casement windows open with filters I still got a lot of dust. Turned the fan around on the next job and my dust problems went away. Just don't open the door between the garage and house with the fans running.

I was running a big squirrel cage fan, one used for a forced hot air furnace, it moved a lot of air. Didn't have any issues with turbulence. Just need to be careful with the plastic blowing around.

don't forget to wet the floor.

Put 15 dust free coats on my car using this method, even shooting DCU2002 that has a 70min dust free time.

#24 ·
I can tell you what I did. We enclosed a bay and a 1/2 with the plastic. Probably about a 20x20 or so. On the front right part of the wall in our temp booth was the window for incomming air. That window is next to the 7' garage door where we set up the 2 box fans and cardboard. This gave us enough air movement without causing a high draft. Now I will say our gas heater was in the back corner of the shop on the outside of the temp booth. We didnt blow up. And yes, it is nice to say we painted that on top of all the other mods we're doing. I would tell you to go fo it.

#25 ·
Very cool getting the paint down. I'm jealous. It was -17 up here this morning. I didn't even venture out into the shop.Hardly worth trying to heat it much less consider opening a window. Heat wave tomorrow of 34 is predicted so I can run the heat and paint the rest of the engine compartment touch ups. I hate winter!

#26 ·
Nice Work - it looks great!
I hope that my garage paint job will turn out so well.

#27 ·
You will love the double take and the look on peoples faces when you tell them you did it yourself. It is a lot of work and takes time but we found it was worth it.
Here is our paint job we did in a backyard spray booth:
Painting it ourselves
Paint
Paint Booth
Reassembly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.