Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been tryng to track down an annoying "buzz" for quite awhile that was coming from the outside on the driver's side. I checked the bearings, brakes, exhaust mounts, looked for stray sockets, etc. No luck, the "buzz" was still there.

It finally occurred to me (after a couple weeks of course) that the "buzz" sounded a lot like the sound I hear when I occasionally drop my wire wheel covers when installing them. I took them off and put them pack one at a time and drove through my favorite underpass and sure enough the "buzz" was coming from a single wheel cover. Doh!

Any suggestions on how to make it stop and how to trouble shoot the other covers would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure that as soon as the offending one is fixed that a buzz will undoubtably start in another one. The center cap is tight.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm not sure how they're constructed, but is there a place you can run a bead of clear silicone to keep one or more of the wires from vibrating? Perhaps on the inside where the wires are peened over or whatever?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure that I can cleanly use silicon, but the general idea seems good. I'll see if I can dampen the vibration/ressonance with some sort of deadening material. I should be able to loosely assess it's effectiveness by carefully tapping the cover with a mallet.

My wheel covers (by my estimate) are the originals and are a little dinged up (obvious when examined at 1' or less distance) from POs or their mechanics installing them with a metal hammer. I would guess that the buzzing one has suffered one too many wacks. I couldn't find anything that was obviously loose or cracked on the cover. Only a couple deep scores and mild dents.

·
Registered
201 Posts
NitroPress would you mind changing that font color[that almost aqua ? neon blue] in your signature, really hard on the eyes :D

Dont you want people to be able to read it ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts