Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Post and a big fan...I'm not a "ACE" Mechanic but I know enough to get by I guess but I'm not too proud to ask for info...I have a simple 66 Mustang 200 6cyl...Nothin fancy....I've basically redone the engine "only " on the outside..Water Pump,Alternator,Starter, Points ,coil, spark plugs New Carb, Basic stuff...Installed a new balancer and timed it but still has the same distributor... With that said...it has a stall issue. I can hear a miss at idle and it revs great not under a load ...When in drive it has a stall. I am wondering if possibly the intake manifold may ba an issue? The motor has been painted and I was trying to figure out some way to tell if the manifold was leaking without spraying it? Any ideas are welcome.. Thanks

·
Dimples
7,610 Posts
Howdy and welcome!

While I am not personally a six-banger expert, most conversations I see around that engine are about the Loadomatic distributor. I think it would be a good move to take photos of it and get whatever numbers off of it that you can so you can confirm what you have. Also worth popping the cap off and looking at the condition of the points, cap, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdy and welcome!

While I am not personally a six-banger expert, most conversations I see around that engine are about the Loadomatic distributor. I think it would be a good move to take photos of it and get whatever numbers off of it that you can so you can confirm what you have. Also worth popping the cap off and looking at the condition of the points, cap, etc.
New Points

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, I see that now. All the same, new points doesn’t guarantee that the distributor is working correctly.
I have a 64 F100 with a built up 460. I was just tryin to make a cruiser. I had a 65 with a straight 6 3 speed and it was much stronger than this one. Maybe because it was a3 speed and this is an automatic? Its the miss that bothers me. You know how you can just tell when they just aint right

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
A problem with the intake manifold is not too likely. Its probaley the gem dandy oem dist & or carb . Me I would look at a Dura Spark dist & a ign box. While you are doing your looking check the timing chain , mine in my 67 was stretched bad & it ran pretty darn good with it like that .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A problem with the intake manifold is not too likely. Its probaley the gem dandy oem dist & or carb . Me I would look at a Dura Spark dist & a ign box. While you are doing your looking check the timing chain , mine in my 67 was stretched bad & it ran pretty darn good with it like that .
Yes...Ive been furthering into a different carb AND Distributor...The way it sounds its either fuel or spark and I know that varies but I need to upgrade that OLD distributor first maybe then decide on the CORRECT Carb. Simple engingines but annoying IF you want them exactly right

1 - 10 of 10 Posts