Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Annoying new valvetrain noise

1625 Views 30 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  PonyCarMan
Went to crank Jane up on Friday, and got a fun new noise. Sounds like it is in the valvetrain somewhere.

Car was fine when I pulled into the garage on Wednesday. Oil pressure good, usually it's 55-60psi and it's reading 55 now. Because I have a thicker oil in there (15w-50), cold starts in winter usually have some lifter ticking noise for the first two seconds until it pumps up. But this time, the noise just didn't go away! Lol.

She was due for a valve adjustment this weekend anyways so I had planned on doing that. But now I am wondering - if a lifter has gotten stuck compressed (hence the noise), will adjusting it actually hurt the cam? Bad idea to adjust the lifters? Or will it be very obvious if there's one that's stuck (nut needs a lot more cranking down to pick up the slack, resulting in a lot more stud showing)?

Relevant Specs: 289 last rebuilt 2016, about 40000 miles on it. Biggish Lunati hydraulic flat tappet cam with springs and lifters to match, stock ported iron heads, screw in studs, stock rockers and adjustment nuts.

Video (ignore the belt squeal lol):
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
45,071 Posts
I'd "dose it" with a can of Marvel Mystery Oil first, and drive it a hundred miles or so to see if it's "goop". If it clears up, great. Do an oil and filter change and put another MMO in with the oil. If not, isolate the lifter, if possible, pull it and disassemble it to see what gives.

Typically, my first guess is a noisy fuel pump, but your noise, from the video, sounds like it's coming more from the back.

· Premium Member
6,395 Posts
Check to make sure all your spark plugs are tight.
Put your scope on the fuel pump.

· Registered
1,068 Posts
I'd stick with your plan and pull the valve covers and do the adjustment. I recall some time ago you had issues with at least one of the nuts on the rocker studs loosening up. Evaluate then plan your next step.

· Registered
4,397 Posts
Well that certainly sounds like potentially a bigger bummer than my Ignitor that just crapped out.

I'm going to also say it does sound like a lifter. What does it sound like when it warms up a little or if the rpm is raised slightly? Or have you just shut it down and not run it much since hearing the noise?

From what the camera's mic pics up, it sounds like the passenger rear is the most noisy. Did you ever get a stethoscope. If not I think Kurt actually has an extra one now.

The Mystery Oil might help. Seen it do a lot of good things.

No mechanical fuel pump to rattle on that car.

· Registered
1,424 Posts
It does sound like a lifter as everyone has said.
why do you ever have to go back and readjust hyd lifters?
Unless as some on suggested a nut loosened up you should not need to readjust if set properly to begin with.

ken

· Registered
7,091 Posts
Lifter got a piece of trash in it. Get a bottle of stuff that frees up lifters. Smells like kerosene and change oil after a few hundred miles or so. I had an S10 truck way back in the day that would happen too. Bottle took care of it. Easy fix, don't do valve adjustment until it is freed up.

· VMF Ambassador
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, well from all of the responses telling me to "drive it a couple hundred miles", I guess a stuck lifter ain't gonna do **** to affect the car other than drive me crazy. I'm still going to pull the valve covers to make sure all looks well from that end - as some did recall, those nuts have backed off in the past (which is why I make a point of checking them every few years or so). I really need to swap to a different lock nut type, or just get new stock versions. But I guess I can't do that until the stuck lifter decides what it's doing.

I'd "dose it" with a can of Marvel Mystery Oil first, and drive it a hundred miles or so to see if it's "goop". If it clears up, great. Do an oil and filter change and put another MMO in with the oil. If not, isolate the lifter, if possible, pull it and disassemble it to see what gives.

Typically, my first guess is a noisy fuel pump, but your noise, from the video, sounds like it's coming more from the back.
Arghhhhh I just put new oil in a month ago! There's barely a hundred miles on it, if that! New oil AND filter?? Do you all know how much that costs these days??? 🤪

Can't get past the belt squeal...

So Un-Kelly...

Allen
LOL, if that's what you think, then you have undoubtedly never met me in person! Jane has a very solid policy of squeaky belt on startup, but only in the following instances: (1) there are people nearby looking; (2) we're at the local hot rod hangout; (3) I'm videoing. It doesn't squeal on startup normally so I just leave it alone and deal with the vague embarrassment in the other scenarios.

Anyways, I'll chuck a bottle of MMO in there and see if it wants to sort itself out. Fingers crossed.

· Registered
1,367 Posts
I would pull the valve cover in the side the noise are and start the engine, makes it much easier to locate exactly which rocker/lifter the sound is coming from. Don't rew it with the cover off, if you haven't prepaired with cardboard, towels or similar stuff to catch airborn oil drops.

· Agitator
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
7,339 Posts
And for Pete’s sake, film it for us!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts