Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the 164 tooth ring gear will fit the 302 manual tranny 157 tooth flywheel? The 164 toother is from later SB Ford engines. If the interchange will not work, I'll have to get the 157 tooth ring gear and possibly replace a good starter so the gears mesh.

I sure picked an oddball engine for my project, hehe! An '81 302 is a crossbreed between early 302's and the newer 5.0's. So far nothing has worked out straitforward...but I'm not complaining! LOL! ::

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
the main consideration for going to the larger 164 tooth flywheel is the bellhousing. the one for the 157 will not accomodate the 164 tooth - you must find the bellhousing that will fit around the 164 tooth flywheel. Other than that, its a bolt on. The 164 tooth takes a larger clutch.....

randy

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK...sounds like starter gear/ring gear mesh is not the issue here. The 164 tooth flywheel is simply larger in diameter than the 157. And if thats the case, I can stay with my 157 flywheel which is the diameter I need to mate up to the clutch/tranny arrangement I currently have.

Which means I wouldn't have to change anything but the flywheel ring. Existing starter should be compatible too. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I went through this over a year ago and I can't recall which is which but there is a 10 tooth starter and a 9 tooth starter. I believe this must match your flywheel as well.

Again I think the older auto starter will work on the newer 5-speed but the standard starter. What is your tranny set up?

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
164 tooth flywheel and flexplate is 1" larger in diameter than the 157 tooth piece.

A 164 tooth bellhousing, the starter is moved 1/2" further away from the crankshaft centerline.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts