Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to a guy at the Stainless Steel Brake Corporation that had great knowledge of Mustang brakes and he said that I can use my factory drum spindles for disc brakes on my '66 V-8. He said the bracket that holds the calipers bolt right to the spindle when the backing plate for the drums bolt. Anybody know if this is true? He said I can get these brackets from NPD. Any help here guys? Also, what booster do I need on my '66 so I can put the duel reservoir master cylinder on it from a '67 up? Thanks for all your help!

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
I know this is a big issue with a lot of people, but the Granada
swap can be done for under $200 if you don't mind doing some
shopping around. Our '64 Falcon, '61 Falcon, and '65 Mustang all
have the Granada set up. SSB is a nice kit, but it is expensive.

The '65 is our track car and we have no problems with the single
piston front discs. For a street car, it's good way to go if the budget
is low.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I agree with opentracker as I just completed the granada swap for my 65 coupe. Its a good way to get nice disk brakes on the front for under 1/2 price. There is some work involved locating the granada setup and rebuilding too. If that is not the route you wish to take, the SSB conversion would definately be the ticket.

My system will be manual brakes for the moment, and I still need to buy the dual M/C. Mine will be from a 74 Maverick which bolts right up to the firewall without any modifications. They are $36.00 new from NAPA.

I know this doesn't answer your post questions directly, but the granada swap was very easy to do.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
65 thru 67 factory style disc upgrades do not require spindles If you go the Granada route, be sure to budget for rubber lines, master cylinder, caliper rebuild kits and proportioning valve.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
You already got some good answers on the disk brakes, as far as the booster with duel m/c on a 66? a stock 67 booster won't fit between the firewall and shock tower unfortunately, but you can use a 67 duel m/c only. There is a couple of nice new aftermarket booster/duel m/c set ups on e(B)ay that I've seen selling for around $250 + that will fit.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed the SSBC kit (4 wheel disc) on my '65 coupe and was very disapointed. As far as I know I installed the kit correctly and braking power is poor, the stock e-brake cables were too short and their customer service is poor(they like to talk to you before you buy their stuff but after you buy, forget it) If I were to do it over again I would go with Wilwoods (a steal at $600 from Summit) or Baers(about the same price as SSBC) in front and big drums in back. Of course this is only my opinion and my experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts