Vintage Mustang Forums banner

181 - 199 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
This is off topic from your build I think but I was scrolling through and thought of something. How do you make sure your frame rails are aligned and straight? My 70 was beat up quite a bit and very wee could be off a bit but I’m not sure how to tell.

Can you look up measurements and check based of them?
Look for Linskey drawings for a 70, find or take your car to someone or somewhere that has/knows how to use a tram gauge.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/showthread.php?t=1165970&share_tid=1165970&share_fid=90825&share_type=t&link_source=app

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Are flywheels that expensive? Or is it just easier to have them fixed? I’m new to this remember
no, but pulling apart my motor and dropping about 300$ on having it rebalanced is not something I want to do. I might have to but, at this point I don't want to.

·
Registered
237 Posts
This is off topic from your build I think but I was scrolling through and thought of something. How do you make sure your frame rails are aligned and straight? My 70 was beat up quite a bit and very wee could be off a bit but I’m not sure how to tell.

Can you look up measurements and check based of them?
Look for Linskey drawings for a 70, find or take your car to someone or somewhere that has/knows how to use a tram gauge.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/showthread.php?t=1165970&share_tid=1165970&share_fid=90825&share_type=t&link_source=app
Ok thank you.

Are flywheels that expensive? Or is it just easier to have them fixed? I’m new to this remember
no, but pulling apart my motor and dropping about 300$ on having it rebalanced is not something I want to do. I might have to but, at this point I don't want to.
Got it makes sense

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Ok, the pins in the flywheel are an interference fit so I'm going to drop them in the freezer for a few hours, I still didn't have a good way to drive them in so I made a driver for them. A quick job on the lathe. The last pic is the pin slid into the hole on the driver.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
She bolts up. The pins seemed to be a perfect, snug fit in the pp. I'm off Friday so maybe I can get done at the drs with enough time to put it together.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Placed my order for dutchman axles today. Is it me or is it nervous in here..... lol. I have no idea why as it's not a tremendous amount of money but I am terrified I measured incorrectly and will be left with two paper weights. On a positive note I checked the housing that I shortened and its really straight. I put a laser level in the bearing saddles and taped a piece of paper over each end so I could see the light and was really pleased with the results. My camera in my cell has an issue so I have no pictures of it.

I think that's why I'm so nervous about the axles, I did all the work, if it's wrong it's on me and I have never done this before.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think that's why I'm so nervous about the axles, I did all the work, if it's wrong it's on me and I have never done this before.
Yes! the driveshaft guys made me abundantly aware of that too! #Measurement anxiety!

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Since I'm gonna be setting up my rear axle soon (fingers crossed) I thought I'd make a pinion yoke wrench. It's always slow at work on Friday nights. It should work on 2.5" and 3" bolt patterns.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Valve covers arrived today. Gonna need spacers. I thought the raised mounting surface would be enough. I could send these back but I like the look.

181 - 199 of 199 Posts