Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 214 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Dropped off the Pistons, rings, and rods at the machine shop. He talked me into balancing it, which I'm shocked he could do because he ships out cranks to be turned. So I gotta take the crank and flywheel by there sometime soon. He sold me a balancer so I wouldn't have to order it. This is the block getting ready to be final bore/honed.

I have to say my wife has been awesome on this. When I called her to let her know there'd be another $350+ out of the check book she just said "no problem."

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Another day, another delivery, and I picked up a stand to do body work on from HF. I planned on taking the crank and flywheel in today but had to run down to the cities and didn't get back in time. Oh well maybe tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I ordered a bore dial gauge from eBay. I'm gonna take it in to my metrology department at work when it comes in and have them check the calibration. Had them check my craftsman torque wrench and discovered it's [email protected] I didn't think that was to shabby considering it's age and use.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I didn't get to work on the mustang today as winter is on it's way here in the great white North so I had to take our travel trailer to winter storage (the city says it's ugly between dec1 and april1) take down the boys trampoline, and empty the storage unit into our new shed. But I did manage to get the new/used roof and fenders hung up in the new shed. Had to take a picture of it lol.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Dropped the flywheel and crank off at the machine shop for balancing. He said it should be ready in a couple days. Might have to put off my head purchase for a bit, had an unexpected expense snag a big part of that money. Sometimes being a grown-up gets in the way of car builds.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Got my bore gauge last night. Going to take it into our metrology department and have them check it. May swap out the dial for a better one.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok, machine shop calls me this am and informs me I'm all done. After CrossFit the wife and I drive up to get it. As he's finishing his lunch it hits me, "you take a credit card right?" Him: "Nope, cash or check." I told him I'll be back tomorrow. Lol the wife was thrilled.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok so with my checkbook in hand I drive to get my short block assembly. I'm so glad I had him balance it, the crank was 225 grams out in the rear. As I'm writing my check he asks "What heads you running?" Me: "I'm gonna run twisted wedge heads. But haven't ordered them yet." Him: "Where you getting them?" Me: "probably summit." Him: I can beat their price." He quoted me them for a hundred$ less than summit. I was shocked. He made a note on my receipt stating he quoted the price as such.

Now do I assemble the short block in the mean time or just wait.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ok, it's my build thread so I'm gonna vent a bit.

I ordered an arp oil pump shaft from cj pony because it was on sale and with my points I had it was very inexpensive. Well I received it today. And again the box looks like it's been through hell and back. This seems to be a recurring theme with them. I have expressed my concerns with them more than once. I know it's the shippers fault but when I use other vendors they use the same shipping companies and their boxes show up in great shape. Maybe it's a particular wharehouse on the way but it's kind of frustrating. It seems it's only a matter of time that I'll get a part that's damaged as well. At least they taped this one.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ordered a Marti report, no real reason why, just curious. Ordered my timing set from summit. Been researching the street or track 3 link. Im planning on running the dynacorn widened wheel wells but don't want to do all that work if the springs are gonna be in the way. If I decide to go that route it won't be until spring when the wife starts selling houses again.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What does the Marti report get you? I'm also thinking about the SoT 3 link. Looks like a nice setup.
Depends on the level. But I think the badic report just gives you how the car was optioned when it rolled off the line.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Got my timing chain in the mail today. Not much else at the moment. Trying to get my shop renovation finished up so I can get started replacing my floor and roof skin.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Got the Marti report. It says my car will turn 51 on December 19. It came with sunlit gold, black Vinyl top, blackout treated hood, 289 and 3sp.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I took the car down off the jack stands and put it back on my diy dolly so I could finish my shop renovation. I'm about 90% complete with that I just have a little wiring to complete, blow in insulation in the Attic and finish organizing my tools. But this time of year I work A LOT so I don't have much time (12 hour night shifts suck). It'll be at least another 7 days before I get any free time. Once that's done I'll start on my convertible rockers and full floor replacement.

I have been emailing back and forth with a company that is remaking my dash Vin tag. Holy sticker shock Batman, that little piece of aluminum is pricey but I'll gladly pay it to keep my original Vin/title over a state issued one. This company is licensed by Ford and they anodize the correct border onto it and use the same font that Ford used. The owner has given me a money back guarantee that it'll be correct.

Hopefully next week I'll be ordering my twisted wedge 11R 190 cylinder heads, studs and head gaskets (benefits of working weeks on end) and can assemble the main components of the engine.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Hopefully next week I'll be ordering my twisted wedge 11R 190 cylinder heads, studs and head gaskets (benefits of working weeks on end) and can assemble the main components of the engine.

You're going to love those cylinder heads :)

21 - 40 of 214 Posts