Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 271 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Had a slow night at work so I thought I'd chop up a perfectly good 8.8 rear. I picked this rear up about 5 years ago out of an 06 mustang GT. I should get it welded up tonight when I come to work. I thought this rear would have the pinion centered and I could just cut 3.25" out of each side, aww but I was wrong. I had to cut 2.2031 out of one side and 3.7969 out of the other to center the pinion.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Ok so I got here at 5 and started on it right away. Made up a jig that I clamped to the welding table so I could rotate the housing easily. Clamped up the first tube and made certain my housing still measured correctly. Beveled the cuts and deburred, now it's dinner time.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Also been researching axles, the original plan was to reuse the stock axles but that was when I thought I'd be cutting the same amount off each side. Now I can't because the one side isn't enough to completely cut the stock splines off and that's a must to respline.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I found these on my porch today. At least it'll be assembled by the book. I will be ordering my head's this Friday. I'll still may have to wait to get the studs and gaskets. But now that I'm done with my 12 day stretch at work I should get my floor pan replaced and most of the sheet metal done.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Waiting patiently for my Vin plate and I called and ordered my head's. My machine shop beat everyone's prices.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Had a few hours this morning before the wife woke up so I got some shop time. I'm still organizing and cleaning from my nearly finished shop remodel but I just had to touch the mustang. I knew the floor under the seat pans was questionable and I wasn't shocked to see pits, some all the way through, some right on the verge.

Oh and a recip saw is not the way to cut this sheet metal. Plasma cutter all the way. Hopefully I can get my compressor installed this afternoon, once I get help to move it from the garage.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Got this in the mail today. It was pricey but man does it look perfect. Quality second to none.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ordered my head studs and head gaskets. Damn I wish my head's would show up.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
What heads did you end up going with?
I’ve got two sets of good heads here and I can’t make myself bolt them on.
I want AFR185s or TFS Twisted Wedges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
TFS-52516601-C01 - Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 190. I'm trying to wait patiently. Hopefully soon.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Got one head gasket and the head studs buy again the box looks like hell and the head gasket is creased badly. Filing a return with summit.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Called about my head's, looks like they're backordered. Ugh.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Got more of my shop cleaned up, got the car off the dollies and the doors removed. Started to try out my Blair spot weld cutter. It seems like a beast but I only drilled about a dozen spot welds with it. Drills really nice.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The top is loose. Waiting on some more hands to remove it from the car. Damn these cars do nothing but rust lol.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Never seen photos of the roof coming off. Thanks for that. Looks like work...good job!

Allen
It really wasn't bad. I did skip drilling out the spot welds in the drip rail and just cut it loose but the Blair spot weld cutter is a beast.

41 - 60 of 271 Posts