Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Another 70 Rocker panel question

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  allengram 
#1 ·
car: 1970 Mach 1 Mustang

Should there be a clear piece of plastic along the top edge of the rocker panel where the outside rocker panel moulding mounts against the top of the rocker edge?

Any pics would be helpful.

If this is needed, any idea who sells these or how to fabricate it (dimensions, thickness, etc.)?

Thanks

#3 ·
What I am referring to is the area between the door sill plate trim and the rocker panel molding. I was told that to be correct, there should be a strip of plastic (clear??) mounted from the rockerpanel molding where it mounts to the rocker panel about 1" wide and the length of the door.

I am asking this question, since I do not ever recall seeing this before.

#4 ·
Its not clear but kind of a dark charcoal black piece of thin plastic/vinyl that wraped around the bottom of door sill. It fitted under the top of the Mach 1 mldg and wrapped around the edge of the door sill. I may not be discribing it right but you can see it in this pic:

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL514/938553/12876145/190081775.jpg

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL514/938553/2915735/47728325.jpg

I will try to find a better pic and post it.

JBauer4363

#9 ·
Hey, Tony!

Doing this from memory, the ones I have are soft black plastic, kind of "L"-shaped, maybe 2mm thick, about as long as the rocker panel trim piece. They're partly under the rocker panel trim as shown in the image above.

#12 ·
IMPORTANT: Your car may not necessarily need one. Depends on when it was built (perhaps Jeff Speegle can comment on whether there were plant differences too) - the drawing included in the 1970 Mustang body(?) engineering manual shows this part along with a date (well into the production year), indicating that this was an on-the fly revision. I'm sorry I can't be more specific as to date as I'm in the process of relocating and everything is in boxes right now. Perhaps someone else here with a set of these manuals can post this detail.

It makes sense in a way: 69 Mach 1's didn't use or need a part like this. The '70 Mach 1 used an entirely new rocker moulding design from anything before it (or since for that matter). It's a likely scenario that it was discovered later that a filler/protective strip was needed.

Why someone hasn't reproduced this simple part is nothing shy of amazing.

#13 ·
I think it would be wise to currently not add the part (if yours didn't have one) until more can be determined. Have not studied this particular subject but we know the situation surrounding the assembly manuals and other printed stuff :(

Pictures really don't make this area/item really easy to see. I do have pictures of what appears to be unrepainted (is that a word?) 70 Mach I;s without the strip

Have not seen anything in Fords original documentation speaking to a need for or it being a running change. But that is limited to what information we have right now

While I have you guys. Does the trim strip go behind the retainer that mounts to the rocker panel or is it held in place by just the rocker panel molding?

#14 ·
Jeff_Speegle said:
While I have you guys. Does the trim strip go behind the retainer that mounts to the rocker panel or is it held in place by just the rocker panel molding?

On mine, November 69 NJ Built car, it does go behind that retainer in the picture, and the other leg of the "L" goes inboard of the door jam.
It appars the rocker panel itself keeps the pressure on it to keep it in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.