Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought this car (65' C-code coupe) about 6 months ago the AC did not work. I have not messed w/ it until now that it is getting hot. Problem is, I really don't know where to start. It blows air, just not cold air. I don't know if it uses R12 or if it has been converted. The air appears to be a factory system that has been there for the life of the car.

Any good ideas on how to get started on this project? Is it possible to test the individual components of the system? Is it possible to identify what coolant is in the system? I've done all the searching I can on this site and I'm just as confused as when I started.

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
If it was still using R-12, it will have the Schrader valves on the high, and low, sides. This valve looks kind of like an air valve on your tires. Also, it should have a sticker that identifies R-134a, if converted to that refrigerant. But, the valves are the dead giveaway. This is to keep from accidentally recharging with the wrong refrigerant.

Function test the compressor to make sure it is operating OK. If you are going to convert the system, it should be flushed, and install a new drier. Draw a vacuum on it and make sure it doesn't leak. (It DOES leak now, or it would still be charged!). After flushing, make sure the system is charged with the proper oil, in the recommended amount, for the refrigerant to be used. It is recommended the oil be put in the separate components prior to closing the system to prevent damage to the compressor. Operate with the appropriate gauge set for the refrigerant being used.

There are many opportunities to shoot yourself in the foot when fooling with AC systems, if you don't know what you're doing. There is a ton of information on the web, and I recommend you read all you can to get comfortable with the project BEFORE you start it.

Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts