Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really know how to explain this but I will try.

I took my 65 to my mechanic among other things because the amp meter would not move and it slowly discharged the battery when parked. The amp meter would move when the fog lights were turned on.

We put a new voltage regulator (vr) on but it was not the problem. When we connected the negative cable it would spark and the vr would click. We found a cable from the solenoid to the alternator that the previous owner had installed. When we took it off there was no more clicking of the vr. But the car was then only running off the battery. Without the battery hooked up it would stall. In my mind this jumper cable was a way to bypass the correct path. But it is obviously not correct because when it is hooked up I have the vr clicking and the discharge when sitting. I might add that it does charge when running and the jumper cable it hooked up but it does not reflect that on the ammeter unless the fog lights are on.

Also, as if things aren't bad enough, there are two wires he added. One hooked up to the alternator and one hooked up to the solenoid running to the ammeter.

I know this is a mess. Any help that y'all can give will certainly help.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
You'll probably need to get a wiring diagram and just start figuring out what needs to be removed and replaced. Your ignition switch may have problems and that is what cause the PO to get creative.

John Harvey

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, not to sound wrong, but I have a wiring diagram and a factory shop manual. I believe that the problem may rest somewhere between the voltage regulator and the solenoid. Of course that can cover quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
The two wires running from the alternator and the solenoid are for a shunt type ammeter which came along in '66 (original ammeter probably replaced). That's probably what those two wires are for. The regulator click is not right unless the key is on. Check the ignition switch if the click happens with switch off.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Here's a link to wiring diagrams for 65 Link , I agree with what was previously mentioned. Very likely PO jury rigged it to get it driving, go through it very slowly with a multimeter.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Unless your 65 is a true GT car there was not originally an ammeter installed, only the charge idiot light. It sounds like your PO may have tried to modify the harness to make it work.

Check out James W's site for more on this topic.
James W

Other than that:

Ammeter never moves: normal

Battery drains slowly: mine will do so over the winter unless I keep a trickle charge on. Define slowly!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Referenced to Frank65 request to define slowly for the battery discharging. I certainly mean overnight if not in a couple of hours. Also I get a spark when hooking up the negative battery cable.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
you have a drain on your battery. one way to find this is to remove all fuses or one at a time until your battery cable doesnt spark when hooked up. it could be any assesory that your car has. the wires you described do not sound like your discharge problem. wes

·
Registered
208 Posts
One easy way to monitor the drain while removing fuses is to connect a test light bulb between the battery cable and the battery post.
As long as there is a power drain the light will be on, when you disconnect the offending wire the light will go out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts