Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am replacing the cowl I have lots of gold colored weld (I assume it is the brasing) in the lower corners where the windshield meets the cowl. I can not make out where the cowl stops and the windshield piller starts. I tried to wirewheel and still cant see the separation line. what is the best way to tackle this problem. will the barzing melt if heated up. I dont want to cut any of the pillar metal The upper cowl looks like swiss cheese because of so many spot welds have to be drilled. I will probable replace the upper as well. does someone have a close up of the corner showing the separation line. I do not have the new upper yet for comparison

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Brazing should melt before weld/metal, but you need a fine point on the torch so you don't warp up a lot of other metal. Use a wet rag on adjacent metal to prevent heat spread/warpage. You might want to try and practice this on something first as I have only done this a time or two. It was a little scary as it required alot more heat than I thought it would. Oh and the torch was oxy-acy- not the little blue propane one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts