Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just removed my hat. 170 spot welds and some torch work (for the brazing) and it's finally off. I sure mangled my metal prying those welds loose. It's rare that you get the whole spot weld with the cutter - there's usually a side or edge that has to be torn off via brute force.

Any way, like many others, I discovered that the American Designers patch panel for the driver's side sucks. The studs for the vent are in the wrong place, and the contours on the interior side are not even close to right (at least on a '68).

So, I'm looking at buying a (Dynacorn made?) lower cowl panel, instead. The catalog photos I've seen show a much better piece. The contours appear to match mine and have better detail in all areas. I don't know if the vent studs are correct, but based on the rest, the chances are good.

I will cut patch panels from this whole panel. I am not interested in drilling out another hundred spot welds to release the lower cowl, too.

I found one vendor who sells complete cowl assemblies. The lower and upper cowl parts are welded together! Wow, that sounds like a very convenient way to go! The photos also show very neatly welded seams.

As mangled as my hat is, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off just springing for this assembly and dropping the whole thing in there. My main concern is the degree of rust protection inside this assembly. Will it rust out just as quickly as the originals did? Were extra (permanent) measures taken to make sure the lower cowl never rusts again?

One big thing that keeps me from going this route is the uncertainty about the rust/leak protection inside. Is it just e-coated with perhaps some seam sealer? If I assemble it myself, I can make sure the inside is sealed up properly - epoxy primer, seam sealer, POR 15, bed liner, whatever. If I buy an assembly, I don't know what protection I'm getting.

Anyone know anything about these assemblies? How well are the insides treated or sealed to prevent rust or leaks in the future?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I know nothing definite about how the inside of the reproduction cowls are protected, but having been on this earth for more than 67 years, and having been exposed to reproduction parts for more than 25 years, I think I can safely say that there is NO protection on the inside, with the manufacturers following the primary age old rule---- "if it doesn't show, don't do any more than you have to in order to sell the part"!!!!!! The secondary rule " Let the buyer beware" also is used under these circumstances. LOL.
Jay67fast

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
the complete cowl is e coated inside & out,
you say, you do not want the panel to rust out as fast as the first, well first off, you will not be treating this car like they did in the 60/s I am sure, next, 40 years is a long time. if the next panel rusts in 40 years, you should be happy.
next, if you gtet the panel & want to add additional protection, you could do so very easily,before it is installed, sitting on a bench you can get to most if not all of the nooks & crannies.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The Dynacorn 65-66 (New!) and 67-68 complete cowl assemblies are electro primered (e coated as mentioned above) inside and out. The last one we installed, we painted on the bench (again mentioned above) and this worked out great! More than FORD ever did.
Thanks, Doc
877-542-3627

1 - 5 of 5 Posts