Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sander, that is. Have one of my convertible's down at a friend's bodyshop for bodywork/paint, been at it two days now and have gained a lot of respect for the people who do this kind of work. Even with the modern equitment, its still a pain. With any luck I will finish sanding and glazing tomorrow, primer on tuesday, blocking on wednesday, and shoot the color on thursday. Guess I know where my week will be spent.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
"With any luck I will finish sanding ,,, "

I never have that kind of luck with body work. I know exactly what you mean. I hate doing body work, because it's the one place where patience is essential. Everything else you do, you get to see instant gratification. It doesn't take long to really appreciate a good body man. It, IMHO, is a form of art.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Dean, I would have traded you today. I was tangled up with those dang granada brakes, just loving it and thinking about not having to sand, when in the end, everything seemed screwed up. (not put together right) I must be crazy, but I enjoy bodywork much more than the mechanical side....most times. Now I have to dissassemble half a days work and fix my screwups. Hand me the block sander, LOL.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan, its a trade! Send me thise granada spindles and I'll get right on them! I'll ship my convertible up to you, along with Ray, the 75 year old bodyshop owner who has been in business 50 years and constantly looks over my shoulder and mumbles "you're not going to leave it like that, are you?". Ive had to redo the glazing on the drivers door 4 times, and lets not even talk about the alignment on the quater extentions (I have nightmares about that.) Geez, I should be happy about this "pickyness" and attention to detail, but this car is for my kids....with their combined driving records it will be back in the bodyshop within 3 months. Guess I'll take a lot of pictures before I hand over the keys to any of them *G*.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
your kids? why are you doing the work? geez... i wish that my dad would do that kinda work on my car (well not really, because than i would be a suck up anoying kid whos daddy gives him everything. doing the work myself gives me respect for what i have acomplished... or what is what i keep telling myself /forums/images/icons/smile.gif).
your too nice /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

- Jason

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jason, the vert is for the kids because they've been "good" kids for a very long time...its their "reward" for staying out of trouble, going to college (one has 4 years done, on her way to being a doctor), and helping the family in any way they can. They don't even know that I have plans to turn over this car to them, its a suprise that they can (hopefully) share. If I told them that I needed help sanding, I know they would be there, just as I know you would do for your Dad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts