Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I know there are lots of posts on the site about differentials 432 to be exact but I could not find the answer to my question
I have two rear ends, one was on my car when i bought it (67 mustang) and it runs fine, The second i picked up a few weeks ago great deal off of a 67 gt.
The second one i painted red in the picture below. I have read posts about different castings, and the reinforced castings but i dont know how to identify or differentiate.
I bought the Gt Rear end because it has 3.5 gears and limited slip. My stock rear end has 2.79 open, I would like the seat in your pants feeling provided by the taller gears. and the limited slip is a cool feature as well
The car is a weekend warrior but I might in the future upgrade to a 408 .
So here is my question, before i sell my 2.79 rear end should i take off the cover, ( it appears to be the reinforced version) and swap it onto my rear end with the 3.5 equa-lock

·
Registered
11,143 Posts

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
The original '67 carrier should be a C7AW, with the horizontal AND vertical ribs. Chances are your other one is the same casting as they are, by far, the most common. Be aware that should you decide to swap you'll need to completely set up the rear end (pinion depth, backlash, pre-load (pinion and differential). Also, just a note. The TALLER the gear set the LOWER, numerically. Your 2.79's are "taller" than your 3.50's.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,159 Posts
Not worth the effort. The amount of ribs in the case will make little difference in a street car.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If your replacing the carrier and pulling the axles stick some new axle seals in there since you've already done 90% of what it takes to replace them. Fit them on the axle first to make sure they are correct before you install them in the housing. Stick a little gear oil on the axle wear they ride so they don't start off running dry. Don't for get the paper gaskets on the axles. There are suppose to be copper washers under the nuts that hold on the carrier. Since the holes go clean through to the gear oil the copper washers are suppose to squash and make a seal.

I'm not sure if 8" carriers have date casting numbers like my Boss 302s 9-inch carrier does. Its nice to have the date correct parts for a restored car. That are parts that were made with dates close to and just before the production date of your car. If your 8-inch carrier is original to the car and has a casting date I'd hang on to it so if somebody ever wants it for a restoration. I would not take apart an already setup carrier to change the case and I've setup at least fifty rearends so it wouldn't be a big deal for me to so it. I'd just store the original away.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The original '67 carrier should be a C7AW, with the horizontal AND vertical ribs. Chances are your other one is the same casting as they are, by far, the most common. Be aware that should you decide to swap you'll need to completely set up the rear end (pinion depth, backlash, pre-load (pinion and differential). Also, just a note. The TALLER the gear set the LOWER, numerically. Your 2.79's are "taller" than your 3.50's.
thanks i always get that mixed up

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not worth the effort. The amount of ribs in the case will make little difference in a street car.
thanks thats what I eventually decided, there was allot of talk about the extra strength but I dont think im making that kind of power

·
Registered
383 Posts
You cannot believe the horrible terrible things I did to an 8-inch Mustang rear-end in my youth. Lots of 5000 rpm clutch launches. I never broke it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts