Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your humble opinion, is the Baer brakes 13" front conversion worth the expense for a daily driver that will see no opentrack use and that will retain the stock 10"x1.75" drums in the back?

My dilemma is either to go with the Baer 13" front kit, while keeping the rear drums, or

Going with this kit for all 4 wheel discs, which is essentially the 11" front Granada and "something else" disc rear:
Direct Fit Brakes - 4 wheel discs

I can't do the Mustang Steve Cobra conversion because my 17" Torque Thrust II's will hit the front calipers, and I have no room for a small spacer.

And if I do the Granada kit, will the 11" rotors look silly behind 17" TT II's?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Rorin67 said:
if I do the Granada kit, will the 11" rotors look silly behind 17" TT II's?
I have the Mustang Steve kit on all 4 and I don't think the 11" rotors look bad at all on the back. It actually gives you a nice size for a 17" wheel. Sometimes when I look at my 13" rotors on the front, I say WOW.....those are huge.

So I would say go for the 11" rotor.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
IIRC, doesnt the Mustang Steve set up use the 11 or 12" rotors and PBR calipers (same as Baer), if your 17's wont fit with those, I'm thinking you'll also have issues with a 13" rotor set up? 13" rotor would mean a larger bracket and move the caliper further out, or does the 13" kit use a smaller caliper?

I have the 12" Baers on mine and the calipers clear the 17" cheapo summit rims I have on there.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yes MS uses the 11" on the rear with the PBR (03-04 Cobra calipers). Here is pic of my rear wheels with the 11" rotor.

Front with the 13" rotor

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fast68back said:
IIRC, doesnt the Mustang Steve set up use the 11 or 12" rotors and PBR calipers (same as Baer), if your 17's wont fit with those, I'm thinking you'll also have issues with a 13" rotor set up? 13" rotor would mean a larger bracket and move the caliper further out, or does the 13" kit use a smaller caliper?

I have the 12" Baers on mine and the calipers clear the 17" cheapo summit rims I have on there.
Mustang Steve offers two kits - 11" and 13". The problem with the 13" kit is that the OEM Cobra rotors have short hats, which places the rotor (and caliper) out closer to the wheel, which hits the 5 spokes on the TT II's (b/c the spokes actually curve backwards toward the caliper!). The Baer 13" kit has rotors with longer hats, which places the rotor (and caliper) further away from the wheel, so this problem doesn't happen.

Or so I've heard...

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Now you got me wondering, maybe mine are 11" up front, they look tiny compared to those 13". What size are your rims?

I'd post picture with the wheel on but you would not see the rotors and calipers.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/541000-541999/541371_365_full.jpg

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks kwkenf - your previous post is exactly what I was looking for!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Considering the type of driving you plan on doing I think spending $1000+ on a brake kit is overkill. If it were me, I'd just find a set of '70-'73 Mustang/Cougar disc spindles and rebuild them to stock, add a '68 dual resevoir MC with power booster and corresponding brake pedal, and make sure the rear drums are in good working condition. If the rears are the standard 1.75" drums you could upgrade to the 2" drums just by switching the drums and shoes. The stock power disc/drum system actually works really well for normal driving. All of the parts are available new, and you should be able to piece together a stock appearing system for $500-$600. If you want to go even cheaper there's also a budget disc conversion from Scarebird. Just my $.02

·
Registered
765 Posts
Cobras, Bullitts and Mach 1s all used the very same brake components.

The front rotors are 13", while the rears are 11.65" in diameter [roughly 11-5/8"].

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,384 Posts
Rorin67 said:
fast68back said:

Mustang Steve offers two kits - 11" and 13". The problem with the 13" kit is that the OEM Cobra rotors have short hats, which places the rotor (and caliper) out closer to the wheel, which hits the 5 spokes on the TT II's (b/c the spokes actually curve backwards toward the caliper!). The Baer 13" kit has rotors with longer hats, which places the rotor (and caliper) further away from the wheel, so this problem doesn't happen.

Or so I've heard...
True, the Baer rotor isn't the Cobra rotor. The Baer rotor hat is deeper than the Cobra rotor which moves the caliper inboard, away from the back of spokes on wheels like TTII. You will be able to use a 17x8 TTII without spacers with any of the 11.25, 12" or 13" Baer kits.

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,384 Posts
fast68back said:
Now you got me wondering, maybe mine are 11" up front, they look tiny compared to those 13". What size are your rims?

I'd post picture with the wheel on but you would not see the rotors and calipers.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/541000-541999/541371_365_full.jpg
That is Baers Serious Street kit (# 4261015 ) with 11.25" rotor.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Thanks Shaun, I bought them so looong ago I forgot what I bought........ :shrug:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Rorin67 said:
In your humble opinion, is the Baer brakes 13" front conversion worth the expense for a daily driver that will see no opentrack use and that will retain the stock 10"x1.75" drums in the back?

And if I do the Granada kit, will the 11" rotors look silly behind 17" TT II's?
Rorin, you ask two questions that are different enough to have two different answers. Based on your stated use, you absolutely do not need aftermarket big brakes. A stock disc/drum can grab hard enough to overpower your street tires and stop you just as quickly. Plenty of track day guys use stock brakes with good pads and fluid.

But your second question goes to why we are on a vintage mustang forum. They look hot. IMHO, little rotors and drums do look puny behind open spoke 17s like your TT2s, and a set of big brakes all around will fill the wheel up nicely. And yes, they'll stop the car too. Don't rule out the possibility of a track day... if you think mashing the gas for 4 seconds before you have to get out of it, or taking one on-ramp at twice the suggested speed is fun, wait till you do that all day long at a track day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts