Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We chewed up another distrubutor gear today. The good news is I think we figured out why. When we had the timing chain cover off the other day due to another investigation, we found that the cam was wearing against the top chain gear. "Why would that be?" We asked. Couldn't figure it out. Now we tore the cover off of the 289 and see that there is a lip on that gear on the inside where it is flat on the one in the W. Am I correct that the builder put in the 302 cam, but then put on the W timing gear, thus leaving the cam room to play and make dinner out of the distributor gear? (Twice)Please tell me that we have figured it out!
Pat, it seems you were right, there is no slant angle difference in the gears, only diameter size.

Frustrated JB

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
you do need the correctly shouldered (or not) timing gears for the engine combo...but I cant imagine that'd eat up the distributor gear

the dizzy gear is driven by the cam

when a dizzy gear goes it's almost always it and the cam gear not getting along or a high volume/pressure oil pump causing too much of a load

if you eat a dizzy gear, the cam gear should be thoroughly inspected...if it's bad, you have an unfortunate chance to try other ideas for cam profiles!!!

I guess I'd inspect the cam gear , and if it's ok i'd get the right chain, a new dizzy gear and try again

·
Registered
391 Posts
I am running a roller cam in my 351W; I purchased the steel Ford gear from Summit for less than $20; 6,000 or 7,000 all is fine.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
There are 2 basic configurations on SB Fordcam gears and it doesn't seem to be defined to year or model of engine.

One type of cam gear has a cast in protrusion on the back of the gear that goes past the front wear surface where it mates to the wear plate, and this cast on "ring" bolts directly to the front surface of the cam.

The other type of gear is milled flat to the wear surface where it mates to the front of the wear plate and has a separate "ring" that sandwiches between the back side of the gear and seats against the front of the cam.

Both rings serve the same purpose to set the end play of the cam in the block. If yours has the cast on ring, and the separate ring was also installed, then you had an extra 1/4" of end play on the camshaft. That would certainly tear up the dist gear, and most likely waste the timing chain and gears also.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I have a friend that has a 460 in his mustang and he had the same problem. He had the block checked to make sure it was in spec. He had the distributor rebuilt and or replaced three times, maybe more. He finally bought a new cam and he hasn't chewed up any more distributor gears

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's apart again. Seems the builder put the flat gear in without the spacer. About 3/8 of an inch of play. We have one with the spacer and are putting it in now. Thanks for the advice.

JB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts