Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a '70 Boss 302 on our favorite auction site yesturday. Nice looking, freshly restored car. Seller said it had a "numbered'70 Boss 302 motor". I sent him an e-mail, and ask if the car was numbers matching. Got his reply this morning.
He said the motor serial numbers didn't match the car's. He said it was like 3 numbers off...He said that sometimes workers at the factory would put the wrong engines in the wrong cars......
Been a long time since I had a Boss 302, so I may have missed something here.....
This sounds like a bunch of Bulls##t to me, but, maybe I am wrong.....
Anyone out there ever heard of this????
I tried to post of the Boss 302 forum, but, guess it is down. My post didn't show up, and the last post was last Saturday...

·
Registered
757 Posts
While it is possible to have an engine that is one one, two or three digits off, if the engine was off by 1000 numbers...it wouldn't make sense. BTW Your post on the Boss 302 site was added to the bottom...some snafu on the server.

Rob

·
Banned
925 Posts
I saw your post on Boss302 this morning. I don't really have an answer for you - having a motor that is only 3 off is really odd but I can't put anything past Ford. Did you get the numbers? Could it be a mis-read like a "5" vs an "8". Sometimes those numbers are very light (or dirty) and hard to read. It also could have been a service replacement block with some doofused hand stamp. BTW, my 69 is 186570 but the engine (a replacement) is 192962 - kind of unusual to get a replacement block out of another 69 Boss instead of a service replacement from Ford - I guess it wasn't a warranty job /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Numbers matching means just that, all numbers match. I have 4 cars that way. 2 '65's, a '70 Spoiler & a '68 Hurst Olds.

G

·
0 Posts
A couple of years ago i bought a 70 Boss from a local guy,very orig car when i checked the
# on the pad, the last digit was 2 cars off[car had orig paint an all the smog,limiter,carb stuff was there[
after working at a dealer for 25+ years,i found anything is poss.
Dave

·
Registered
757 Posts
Unfortunately, that is not the case. Not everything is black and white as your opinion suggests. A reasonable person would come to the conclusion that the engines of two or three cars were mixed up at the plant, not afterwards. It is nearly logistically impossible to think two or three motors were switched by the owners at a later date.

Rob

G

·
0 Posts
I've worked heavy line at 3 dealerships before getting into aircraft. Been racing & restoring cars since the '70's & I've never seen a VIN mix-up at the factory. The numbers are stamped with the car as it goes down the line, not at the assy plant. I've worked on a Boss 302 & my last '70 Spoiler that were supposed "matching numbered cars" that were close. After contact with the original owners & some prodding from a distant relative at Ford, both were changed at the dealer not under warranty & had used salvage engines. I'm always wary of a numbers matching car that doesn't have the numbers matching. They usually want an inflated price for these cars & personally, I walk away.

G

·
0 Posts
I give up. I guess after 25 years I'm wrong again. Was going to site several logistical facts but I give, you win

1 - 8 of 8 Posts