Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to pull my engine and send it back to the builder. I plan on taking the hood off. Can I leave my T5 in place and just pull the motor? If I take all the accessories off the front, I should be able to slide it forward to release the input shaft, correct? If I pull the engine and trans together, can I pull them out without dropping the exhaust?

·
Banned
3,546 Posts
Depends on your setup and how it's configured. I've done it where I've pulled both the engine and transmission at the same time as well as disconnecting the driveline first, taking the transmission out separately and then pulling the engine out by itself. I didn't have any issues pulling both out together on my 65. I took out the radiator and all of the front accessories, then jacked up the rear end as high as I could get it on blocks so that I had a better angle taking the engine out and it came out pretty easily that way. T-5's are pretty light transmissions and you can also take it out first, as mentioned above, while on your back. They're only about 75lbs and if you're worried about getting both engine and trans out at the same time, it might be something to consider. I'm sure you probably know this already but having a buddy or second person to help you always makes things easier as does marking/labeling everything and taking lots of pictures for when you put it back together as it could possibly be weeks or months, depending on what you're having done to the engine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Way easier to just pull the T5 first or together with the engine from the start. Because, you will never get the engine back in with the transmission still mounted. Like said above, the transmission is super light and can be pulled off and out without a transmission lift.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already installed this T5 twice. I recently dropped the T5 but in order to do that I had to drop down the exhaust. Gonna try and putll the engine and trans as a unit without dropping the exhaust. Anyone done that?

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
You should be able to let the exhaust hang down under the car.

Reactions: MUSTANG65FBK

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Remove the radiator before you pull anything. Every engine I've either pulled or installed had the tranny in place... but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
7,439 Posts
I’ve removed the engine only with leaving the hood in place. As mentioned, it’s a good idea to pull the RAD first. Place a jack, of some type, beneath the tranny, before you start. Then have at it.

·
Banned
3,546 Posts
Like Hemikiller said, loosen up the exhaust and let it hang down a bit. Should give you the clearance you need to get everything out and I've pulled both the engine/trans at the same time, although I believe the exhaust hadn't been installed yet. You could always give it a try and see if it works for you? Worst case scenario if you'd have to do them separately. Since you have the exhaust installed already, I'm thinking it might be easiest to re-install the trans first and then re-install the engine. Just my 2c, it really depends on your setup, headers and what kind of exhaust you have and how it's mounted/installed.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I have Sanderson shorty headers so those could stay on. I was thinking about just unbolting the collectors from the h pipe, removing the rad and all accessories. @FrankieThe69Kid and @2nd 66 , did you unbolt the engine from the bell housing or did you leave the Bell housing on?

·
Registered
37,714 Posts
Unless I've needed to remove it for some reason when changing an engine I've typically left the transmission in place, supporting it either with a floor jack and strap or a 2x4 and strap across the aprons by the cowl. You'll need to remove the hood, radiator, cooling fan, exhaust pipes/collectors, starter motor, coolant hoses, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,439 Posts
I'll chime in, not to step on "aforementioned toes", if you choose to pull the engine only, unbolt the "bell" from the engine and follow Woodchuck's comments to secure. Much of this depends on your tools, and helpers, but, "all" comments may come into play. I will advise a "lifting plate" bolted to the intake, securely, as well.
Just watch your "fingers and toes", in the process.

·
Registered
839 Posts
My .2 cents since I've done this recently....bolting the tranny housing back to the engine even under a shop grade 2 post lift I find a nerve is a maddening experience. I'd not want to go at that on the ground ever. Hard to align with all the converter bolts and bell housing bolts at the same time. So I'd say pull engine and tranny together (after removing everything mentioned radiator ect). Then go reverse bolt together torque bellhousing bolts and then install as pulled.

You can pull and drop in w/the exhaust manifolds on but you're going to have to get the rest of the exhaust d/c and out of interference.

I've pulled motors twice and tranny separately 5x to fix leaks and issues successfully in the last year. 20 years ago I pulled motor on another car a 67' to rebuilt left tranny supported by wood blocks till she went back in. Aside from one of the alignment bolts cracking off on the aluminum housing it wasn't that terrible. Just messy getting the converter off without being able to drain it. I remember rushing to finish the motor install before the homeowners associate made good on their threats :p Things I'd never attempt again at 41 vs 22 yr old back then.

The biggest source of cusswords for me is usually getting tranny lines off and back on w/o breaking, kinking or stripping them. Especially if they are anything but new. I'd lower tranny separately on a jack 2-4 inches to get the lines off use plenty of CRC Screwloose if they are rusty or won't budge. Best way is crows feet wrench, something that I lacked pulling tranny numerous times.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
I have removed and installed engines leaving the transmission in place. I have removed and installed engines with the transmission bolted on. By far, I prefer installing the engine and trans as an assembled unit. It's much, much easier and much much faster. Just get the rear of the car up as high as you can on jack stands. Remove the radiator and it will all pop out easy peasy. Then it will pop back in easy peasy. That's how they installed it at the factory.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have removed and installed engines leaving the transmission in place. I have removed and installed engines with the transmission bolted on. By far, I prefer installing the engine and trans as an assembled unit. It's much, much easier and much much faster. Just get the rear of the car up as high as you can on jack stands. Remove the radiator and it will all pop out easy peasy. Then it will pop back in easy peasy. That's how they installed it at the factory.
Did you drop the exhaust or leave it in place?

·
Premium Member
7,439 Posts
In some cases, depending on the headers and down pipes, the headers or exhaust can be unbolted from the engine or left on the engine and unbolted from the down pipes. One has to look at their setup and determine what works best for them.

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
762 Posts
Something I didn’t see anyone say is that it’s so much easier to pull just the motor out first by itself and then after the motors out on the stand or at the shop or what have you take the transmission out that way when you get the motor back you can put the two together and put them back in there’s no point in making it difficult for yourself to take them both out together when you have to take the transmission off anyway to send the motor out to get redone.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
In some cases, depending on the headers and down pipes, the headers or exhaust can be unbolted from the engine or left on the engine and unbolted from the down pipes. One has to look at their setup and determine what works best for them.
Exhaust manifolds I have left on. Headers I unbolted.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Something I didn’t see anyone say is that it’s so much easier to pull just the motor out first by itself and then after the motors out on the stand or at the shop or what have you take the transmission out that way when you get the motor back you can put the two together and put them back in there’s no point in making it difficult for yourself to take them both out together when you have to take the transmission off anyway to send the motor out to get redone.
I think it's easier to simply unbolt the engine mounts and the trans mount rather than unbolting the bell housing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts