Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first the background... I'm restoring/resto-modding a '66 Wimbeldon White coupe. Nothing overly fancy. It was an I6, going to be a V8 (estimating around 325-350 at flywheel)... has a Granada disk brake assembly up front... Now, this past weekend I went to the Eastern Iowa Mustang and Ford show in Cedar Rapids... Lots of Mustangs there (including jthompson's awesome fastback) and noticed something. There are a lot of coupes in Wimbeldon White... and further... They're kinda bland!

Sooo, I thought about spurceing up the car a bit. I went through the Mustangs Plus catalog since it was handy and found a cool looking '67 Shelby hood that fits a '66 as well as the Cobra R front racing apron (that allows a bumper)... and some nice little quarter panel vent things, to make it look neat... It just so happens that LanceMach has a '67 that looks just about what I want. Except mine would be a '66... hehe... ANYWAYS.... my questions are...

1) I've read up on the fiberglass hood stuff here on VMF... search works great! :p Is Mustangs Plus the only place that sells this kinda hood? '67 Shelby hood that fits a '66? Are there other places, or should I say manufacturers that sell this kind of hood?

2) It sounds like people have a "hit or miss" thing going with fiberglass hoods... some are good, some aren't... Would it be better to try and find a '66 Hood I would cut into and put a '67 Shelby Scoop onto, instead of trying to go with a fiberglass one like above?

3) How hard is it to "reshape" fiberglass pieces (either the hood or the front aprons) to fit the car if they are about right, but not quite? Would that be a job better left to a body shop?

4) How does the shipping of these items go? I see it says "truck freight" but I'd assume they don't deliver it to your house, do they? Would they just drop it at a truck freight center for you to find and pick up?

I really like the look it would bring to my car... but I'm afraid of all the unknowns that are out there. Should I be, or has this process (buying fiberglass hoods/aprons through mailorder) gotten to the point where shipping, delivery and installation has gotten to be pretty good overall?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
I can help with a couple of your questions.

#3 - It's not that hard to reshape the fiberglass, but you need a lot of patience. You will either have to add fiberglass, sand fiberglass off, or both. If you look at my website you can see what my friend and I have done with the fiberglass parts on my fastback. Yes, it's been a lot of work, but it's worth it just from the satisfaction of making the parts fit and look good.

#4 - Truck freight will deliver to your house, at least they will in Tucson. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Glass work is pretty easy...I did the glass work and paint on the race car back in the early 80's when I was 21 years old...the front end was made up out of pieces and assembled into a unit...

A combination of fasteners and stiffeners brought the panels into the required shape...just a little trial and error...

BTW, don't forget to swap rears...that inliner rear won't hold up to your engine for very long...especially if the engine really does have a flywheel..*G*

·
Registered
99 Posts
I purchased a cowl hood from these guys http://www.up22.com/mustang65.htm#top and the fit and quality is very good-I certainly do not have to go through all the stuff I have been reading about on this forum. For the price of those fiberglass stuff you shouldn't have to rework it extensively. Granted fiberglass usually gives a race car fit but that should still be pretty good. I have bought Maier stuff and the fit is marginal at best but to their credit the gelcoat is very good and finished looking. I think Must Plus sells Maier stuff, but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I think the addition of the fiberglass parts you mention is a great idea (of course, I'm a little biased!).

On the hood, I really like the 67 Shelby hood - even though it isn't "correct" on the 65/6. You could stick with the 65/6 Shelby hood, but I think it would look good with the other. I got my hood from Branda: I'm not sure if they make a 66 hood with the 67 Shelby scoop, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. The Mustangs Plus fiberglass parts come from Maiers Racing (in Hayward - SF Bay Area). That's where my valance came from and I believe they have just the scoop if you wanted to match it up to a steel hood (I don't know how well this would work - I didn't want to have it crack later, so I got the whole hood). If you do go with a fiberglass hood, either don't use springs or use the special light duty ones (I don't use any at all).

I had the hood shipped to a local body shop (they were doing some minor body work on my car, so they were willing to take delivery for me). You could check with a local business and see if they'll accept it for you.

Reshaping can be easy or difficult depending on the condition of the hood and how good you want it to look. Mine wasn't that difficult, but I didn't want to spend months working it to perfection - I wanted it on the track!! I'm not an expert at bodywork or anything like that, but I did manage to get everything on the car without too much difficulty (don't ask about the paint job - that was some work!). The hardest part was the front valance - we really had to work to get it on and it doesn't really fit too well. I've had it for 20 years and it's never fit well! They may very well be better now.

Drop me a PM if you have other questions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts