Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can build a car but I cannot get the trim to snap in - what gives? I've walked away several times.

can someone explain to me the design mechanism? does the trim slide under the clip and body, or over the top of the clip?

I sure hope the clips are correct (ignore the third one down, that's now a screw). from NPD.

Edit: I got the side piece on. I think the issue is the lower piece is just too mangled and keeps popping out . I'll give it a shot tomorrow and update.

·
Registered
239 Posts
First off... are you using original trim pieces or repo ones? Repos are absolute trash and almost impossible to install. If you’re using the originals, here’s what I did to install mine... first since they’re new clips double check they’re not super tight meaning riding super close to the metal and paint of the windshield. You want a snug fit but too tight and the trim piece will not go under the clip. That’s the mechanism you speak of, there’s a lip on the back side of the trim pieces that goes under the clips and is held in place. When you’re placing the trim you want to come in at an angle and not straight on so that the lip goes under the clip. You can’t really just place the molding straight on and push it into place. I would start with the bottom one piece and come in at a downward angle at a corner and work your way down clip by clip.

·
Registered
239 Posts
One more thing, check the lip on the inside of the molding... if it is mangled and uneven you can carefully work it back to straight with some pliers and patience. I’m also assuming you’re trying to install the molding with the windshield in right?

·
Registered
324 Posts
There are only 3 clips used to attach the side molding. Remove the clip that is not evenly spaced with the other 2. It is the one farthest from the windshield opening. Then try installing molding.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Also check on the rubber seal you used around the windshield. I had an issue with the trim not snapping in place when I replaced my windshield to the point where folks with hands stronger than mine couldn't get the trim to snap in. Then I read that some of the aftermarket rubber is too thick and won't allow the trim to snap in. I ended up going with some Daniel Carpenter manufactured rubber seal and was able to get the trim to fit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also check on the rubber seal you used around the windshield. I had an issue with the trim not snapping in place when I replaced my windshield to the point where folks with hands stronger than mine couldn't get the trim to snap in. Then I read that some of the aftermarket rubber is too thick and won't allow the trim to snap in. I ended up going with some Daniel Carpenter manufactured rubber seal and was able to get the trim to fit.
thanks. i'm having that issue on my trunk seal. we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The moldings slide under the outer rounded edge of the clips. Some YouTube videos show guys bending the clips to release some of their tension, however, I found it best not to do that. The clips need to be snug to the body or they will not secure the molds the way they need to. Also, after market clips may not be the correct height which can cause the moldings to sit higher than the OEM Ford clips, at least the ones I recently picked up from NPD were a little taller, and made the molding sit to high. I ended up cleaning and reusing the originals. Also, if you get them started you can use the trim hook tool that is used to remove the moldings to pull the tabs out a little so you can push the moldings on all the way. Use it the same way as if your taking them off but instead of lifting the molding you push it on. If you try to tap them in to place (I wouldn't) it's very easy to dent the trim pieces.
Also, the bottom goes on 1st, followed by the sides 2nd, and top pieces last.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
It's the MTF video where he does show to relax the spring just a little bit with some needle nose pliers. I did that on mine. My trim fits tight, and it was still a tight fit, but a wood block and gentle taps with a hammer coaxes the trim in. It was pretty satisfying when I was installing window trim because it takes the level of finish to a whole new level.

Reactions: ymi5150?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts